thirteen

Niamh's pov

We were all walking back from school, the whole gang was coming to ours, Gerry and Joe were going out to do the big shop, that wouldn't go well the two of them. We had just got in the door and Mary was looking at us in awe. Next thing you know the only thing we're all wearing is out underwear and shirts, great.

"Hey! Let me look at that. You call that clean, do you?" Mary asked James.

"Different standards, you see, Mary. You're not in England now, son." Sarah said.

"Orla was the one who washed it." James replied.

"Oh, Okay. I have had it with you, James, and your picking, picking, picking, and I won't take it any more. Do you hear me?" Orla yelled.

Alrighty then

"Is everything Okay, Orla?"

"I warned you, Orla. You're putting yourself under too much pressure." Sarah warned.

"Can't fail, Mammy."

what the hell was she talking about

"Since when have you been troubled by exams?" Erin asked.

"Exams? What are you on about, Erin?" Orla asked.

"What are you on about, Orla?" Erin yelled.

"Step."

"I'm sorry?"

"Step aerobics."

well then

"Orla has got really into step aerobics. Her instructor says she's a natural. Says she's got what it takes to go all the way."

"All the way in step aerobics?" I question.

"But it's out of control now. She's stepping morning, noon and night. Apart from anything else, it's dangerous. She nearly came through the ceiling yesterday. Okay, she might be gifted, but I just want her to have a normal childhood."

"I won't give it up. I can't." Orla replies.

"Listen to yourself, love."

"Now, whites." Mary said lifting up the washing basket.

aye I don't think so.

-

The next day at school was highly uneventful, aye me and James might have actually had a conversation, but it was nothing interesting. Now I was back at home watching Orla step, and I mean, she wasn't half bad at it, but last time I checked it wasn't an Olympic sport. Gerry had then came back without the photos Mary sent him for, because he had lost the wee docket.

"How could you have lost the wee docket, Gerry?" Mary asked.

"Aye, everybody knows you have to hang on to the wee docket."

"Look, I've said that I'm sorry."

"They were my birthday photos, for God's sake." Mary scolded.

"There's definitely grounds for an annulment here, Mary." Grandpa said.

"I mean you only turn 33 once."

"You've been 33 a few times now, in fairness, Mary." Gerry replied.

"Well, aren't you a brave man, given the circumstances?"

aye Gerry maybe just shut up now

"Mary, come on. Would you not reconsider?"