22

Alright, so I saw a few comments about Mekhi's character. So.. should I change him, or do y'all like him as he is now. With that being said, if you want him to be changed, comment or message someone's @ and I'll act accordingly.
Edit: I'm not changing him. He's what I imagined, so y'all can imagine somebody else. 🚶🏾‍♀️

Rose 🥀

"Tell me all about you.", Mekhi says, leaning back in his seat.

We sat in the back corner of a busy Applebee's, simply getting to know each other more.

I take a minute to think about what he really didn't know about me.

"Umm..," I begin. "I'm Rosalyn LeAnne Duess.", I say.

"LeAnne?", Mekhi asks, and I nod. "I got it from my mom's grandmother.", I tell him.

"What about you? What's your middle name?", I ask him, taking a sip from my Pepsi.

"Quentin.", he answers with a small smile. "Oh my gosh...", I coo. "That is so adorable.", I continue, reaching across the table to pinch his cheeks.

"Man, move before I bite you.", he threatens, nudging my hand. "I might like it.", I respond, smirking.

"Cap.", he says, and I nod. "All cap."

"But for real, I'm not as innocent as I seem. It's just something I always did back home.", I tell him. "What you mean?", he asks me.

"You remember that day I sat on your lap and thought I was sitting on a remote?" He thinks for a second but eventually nods.

"I knew you were hard, but I wasn't finna say that. I just wanted to save myself the embarrassment." I briefly explain.

"I got a question for you, Ro'.", he begins. "What was it like for you back home? I don't think you've ever explained it to me."

"Umm... honestly, it wasn't that bad. I was treated, or at least I thought I was, like a regular person. I had a few church friends, but I liked being alone more. I never really went on dates or anything like that because they were always guys my dad liked.", I explain.

"Did you go to public school?", he asks me, and I shake my head. "I went to a private school all my life. Pre-K through High School."

"Enough about me, how was life like for you?", I ask him. "Tough as fuck.", he answers blankly.

"I had to basically raise Mason myself. My mama was always at work damn near all day, and when she did get home, she went straight to sleep. And that shit was everyday."

"My pops died while my mama was pregnant with Mason, and I'm pretty sure that took a big part of her, too."

"It's like she worked herself to death, y'know? Can you imagine working 18 hours a day at a run-down gas station and still be struggling?" He let out a humorless laugh.

By now, he was staring into space while talking.

"I was like 16 when I got tired of watching my mama struggle on her own.", he says. "What did you do?"

"I dropped out of high school and started slinging.", he answers with a shrug.

"It got bills, rent paid, and I even bought my mama a new car.", he continues.

"She wasn't stressing anymore, and I even saw her smile a few times. That was all until she found out where I got the money from."

"I don't think I've ever seen her so disappointed in my life. That one look she gave me was enough to make me quit that same day."

"Sadly, she passed a couple years ago, and it was just me and Mason. I still ain't have a job, and ain't nobody gon' hire a high school dropout with a criminal record. So, I got back in the game, and here I am today.", he finally finishes.

I stare at him in awe, lost for words.

"What? Too much?", he asks and I shake my head. "I mean.. I'm sorry I ain't one of those squares you used to fucking with.", he tells me with a dry shrug. I give him a smile before responding.

"I'm tired of fooling with these lame niggas, baby. I just need a thug."

i'm back, y'all.. i've been doing a whole bunch of homework and shit to get my grades back on track, because WHEW CHILE. i refuse to fail 💀