15

Rose 🥀

I sat outside of my school on a bench, waiting patiently for Mekhi to pull up. I got out of class at 3, and it's now going on 4:30.

Checking my phone for the millionth time in a 15 minute time-span, I see the same thing I saw the last time I checked. Not a darn thing.

With a sigh, I pull my feet up and sit Indian style. I watched the decorative fountain as the water slowly poured from it. Yes.. I was that bored .

"Rose?", I hear a familiar voice say from behind me. Turning around, I'm met with Ivan, my new friend from earlier.

"Hey, Ivan.", I say, turning back around. He takes a seat beside me and rests his hand on the back rail of the bench.

"So, what're you still doing out here? You're usually gone by now.", he asks, and I give him a suspicious look. "How do you know that?", I question, and he blushes.

"Well, um- wow. I watch yo- wait, that sounded weird. I'm not a stalker.", he stammers, growing redder by the second. "Calm down, I was joking.", I tell him, laughing at his embarrassment.

He smacks his lips and looks away. "That was mean.", he mumbles. "But it was funny.", I respond, laughing again.

"Anyways.. To answer your question, I leave campus a little after 5 everyday, and you're never here at that time.", he briefly explains.

"I usually leave around 3, but I guess today is different.", I tell him, checking my phone again.

"Your friend is late?", he asks and I nod. "Yeah, but he should be here in a few minutes.", I answer with a shrug.

"I mean, I can give you a ride if you want.", he offers and I shake my head. "I don't wanna have Mekhi come all the way up here and have to turn around.", I tell him.

"How about this..", he begins. "If he still isn't here by the time I leave, I can give you a ride." I take a minute to think about it before shrugging.

"Deal.", I say and shake his hand. "So, what can we do for.." I pause to check the time. "..30 minutes?", I ask.

"Wanna take a walk?", he asks, standing up. "Sure.", I answer and get up too.

As I go to pick my bag up, he stops me and picks it up himself.

"Um, I could've carried it.", I tell him, laughing. "But I did. Is there a problem?", he questions, raising an eyebrow. "Nope. As you were."

We walk along a trail around the courtyard of the school, basically getting to know each other.

"Where you from?", he asks me. "Bay Area. How about you?" With a smile, he answers, "Dallas, Texas."

"You lying.", I tell him, lowkey shook. "I swear! You can't tell by my accent?", he questions.

"You don't really have one.", I answer. "Whatever.", he responds, checking his phone.

"Aw shoot, Rose. It's about that time.", he tells me, doing a weird dance. "Um.. time for what?"

"It's time to go. Remember I said if you're still here around the time I leave, I get to give you a ride.", he answers.

"Well, let's go then."

We walk towards the parking lot, continuing our previous conversation.

"ROSALYN!", I hear a deep voice yell. "Oh hell no..", Ivan mumbles.

Finally turning around, I'm met with a fuming Mekhi walking towards us.