Some called him a traitor, both to Ionia and his vastayan heritage, but he didn't care. What they thought didn't matter.

The fortress of Fae'lor was built upon the westernmost island of Ionia. Highly defensible, this place had remained for centuries, standing against countless foes, before being finally overrun after a long siege during the Noxian invasion.

That was before Kalan had joined Noxus, before the fateful Battle of the Placidium when he'd pledged himself to Swain. Before he'd requested this post as governor of Fae'lor as reward for his service.

The Noxians laughed at him behind his back, he knew. He could have had a far more prestigious posting—but he had chosen Fae'lor, at the forgotten edge of the empire.

They didn't understand, and that mattered nothing to him. He needed to be here.

Noxus had not won the war, of course... but nor had Ionia. Nevertheless, many seasons after the end of the campaign, Fae'lor remained under the invaders' control.

Thirty-three warships were currently docked here, as well as perhaps half that number of trader vessels and merchant ships. Over a thousand warriors of Noxus—a mix of veteran warbands hailing from the far corners of the empire—were stationed here under his leadership.

A guard patrol stomped along the battlements. They saluted, fists crashing against breastplates, and he gave a nod in return. He didn't fail to miss the dark looks they gave him as they marched by. They hated him almost as much as his own people did, but they feared and respected him, and that was enough.

He turned to look back across the sea once more, brooding on the past. Why was he here? It was a question he saw in the eyes of his subordinates every day, and one that crept up on him the darkest of nights, those nights when the forest, and the hunt, called to him. The answer was simple, however.

He remained here to keep watch over her.

A pair of dark-clad figures—one female, one male—emerged from the sea, unseen, and as silent as death. Swiftly, moving like spiders, they scaled the near-vertical hull of the warship Crimson Huntress, and slunk over its gunwale. Their blades glinted, and the ship's night wardens were silently dispatched, one after another, without any alarm being sounded.

Within moments, all five Noxians were dead, their lifeblood leaking out onto the deck.

"Neatly done, little brother," said one of the pair, now crouched in the shadow of the upper deck. Of her face, only her eyes and the swirling indigo tattoos that surrounded them were visible.

"I had a passably decent teacher," replied the other. He too was fully clad in black and crouched in shadow, though in place of his sister's swirling tattoos, his skin was a solid block of etched flesh.

"Passably decent, Okin?" she replied, one eyebrow rising.

"No need to feed your ego, Sirik," her brother replied.

"Enough fooling around," said Sirik. She opened a black leather pouch at her hip and delicately removed an object, tightly bound in waxed leather. She unwrapped it, gingerly, revealing a fist-sized, black crystal.

"Is it dry?" whispered Okin.

In answer, Sirik gently shook the crystal. A hint of an orange glow lit it from within for a brief moment, like a fanned ember.

"It would seem so. I'll find a suitable place for it," she said, nodding to the nearby door leading below deck. "You signal the others."

Okin nodded. Sirik ghosted below deck, and her brother moved silently back to the gunwale. He leaned over the edge and beckoned. Seven other black-clad figures rose from the dark water below, climbing soundlessly up onto the deck of the ship, hugging the shadows.

League of Legends: Short Storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें