Chapter 1 ~The Sun, the Serpent and the Wolf

I lingered quietly staring down at the 3 small dots that made up the dragon hatchling, moon-shadow elf and the step heir to Katolis. I looked up to watch the sun blink at me before it disappears behind the tall towering trees. I let out a flattened sigh as I felt the twisting feeling as my power drained away. I shook my head and drew my focus back to the small people on the ground. Ezran made me promise that I would watch over his brother Callum, Zym the only heir of the King of the Dragons and his new friend Rayla the moon-shadow elf. I gazed down from my hiding spot wondering about how strange it was to get powers from the moon and not the sun. I gazed east and watched, as the moon slowly inched across the sky. Aack. The sooner I go to sleep the sooner it will be morning I told my self quietly, but the problem is that what if Rayla and Callum need my help? That's why I HATED night time. No sun equals no powers equals no protection. Which means I spend most of the night awake and stressed out. I pulled my wings in and wrapped my tail many times around the branch, so I won't fall off and rested my head on my hands. I quietly watch Rayla poke around a bit and then settled down next to Callum who was already asleep. I watch them for a while trying to not let sleep drag me down but, as always it did eventually.

I woke to the soft warm sensation of the heat from the sun, feeling the vibration through the branch as I stretched spread my wings and shake my tail. I sighed happily as I felt the humming of power sweeping through my wings, down my spine and along my tail, into my legs and hands, giving me the feeling I could run and run and run forever. Then gently a leaf brushed my nose sending me into a sneezing fit. I shook my whole body shaking off any leaves, bugs or twigs that had landed on me during the night. I sneezed again. I looked down at Rayla and Callum to find Rayla shifting and about to wake up. I instantly flattened myself out, so I was hidden. Rayla sat up, yawned rubbing her eyes and got up and walked over to a berry bush that was near a river. She then called over to Callum who to got up and stretched. I smile softly as I watch them have breakfast and pack up with Zym running amuck everywhere. It was funny to know them so well, but they didn't know I existed. They started walking and I slowly clambered down the side of the tree and checked that I was properly camouflaged, before following them. The walk was more of a march and it seemed endless. They stopped for a while to have lunch, so I laid in the sun and soaked up the heat, watching from a distance. Zym practiced flying, with Rayla and Callum to assist him. I laid there wondering when I should show myself. Probably when they are attacked, then I could step in save them to gain their trust. Night came quicker than I expected, and I could already feel the twisting feeling in my stomach as my power fell. I looked around worried and then hurried to catch up to Rayla and Callum. They had agreed to sleep in a cave they found, high up on a steep cliff side. But something was wrong, I could feel it. Ezran told me before he left to become king that they were being followed by two former 'friends' Claudia and Soren.  Claudia and Soren had tried to kidnap Callum and Ezran and kill Rayla. Were they out there? I didn't know what they looked like. Ezran said that Claudia did dark magic which is so, so, so wrong. I would completely expose myself to bash anyone who did dark magic. That was a promise that I took every were I went. I found a nook that I could lay on a few paces up wards from there cave. I sat there, completely camouflage guarding the front of the cave in my human form. Better not waste sun magic, now of all times. The moon showed it silvery face and I froze when I heard something, I lifted my head slowly to see two unknown shapes whispering in the darkness of the trees. What is it with people these days? Hiding in bushes like total creeps, but after seeing that I didn't sleep at all and I probably wouldn't be able to even if I tried.

Hope hit me like a spear through my chest as I saw the flickering light of the sun. I didn't sleep at all last night and it felt like my brain had been pulled out by a spiked club. I stretched my clamped legs and nearly fell of the ledge. I could here the talking of Callum and Rayla and the loud squawking coming from Zym. It was another day of walking, but I was more anxious today and kept looking behind me. The sun was only starting to set when a small group of large, bulky wolves appeared. I sat up quickly when I saw them and nearly fell off the branch I was on. Rayla being Rayla pulled out her daggers, but there was something in her eyes, she recognised them. She whipped around and shouted something at Callum who picked up Zym. Immediately the wolf leapt at Rayla, but I was there first. I smashed myself into the side of the wolf sending it tumbling back. I puffed out my chest, spread my wings and roar at them as loud as I could. Some of the wolfs let out a wine and ran away. I slashed my claws down onto the first one that ran at me, bit the second which ran its claw along my leg and flipped the last one sending my claws through its stomach. It out a howl so vigorous I even winced, and it went limped under my blood-stained claws. The last two eyed me and then howled together summoning more. When I realised this wasn't going to work, I jumped over one of them and sprinted back to Callum, Rayla and Zym, skidding sideways with my wing out so they landed on my back, jumped on a wolf pushing it down and hurled myself into the air. I flapped my wings looking over my shoulder and flew for a while and started to feel the twisting sensation from using my power, and at night! I was using all that I had stored but I knew it wouldn't be enough. The feeling got worse instantly like you've been pincered by a metal pole through the stomach and I nearly crash-landed it hurt so bad. Rayla, Callum and Zym all let out a scream as I plummeted, but I straighten out and called out to them "Sorry! R-r-running out of m-magic" I gasped. I remembered a massive tree that was over grown with super-size fungi that could probably hold all our weight that I had saw when following them. I kept flying. And there it was! I pretty much collapsed on the mammoth mushroom, panting uncontrollably and appositely exhausted. Rayla helped Callum who was holding Zym, down from my back just in time for me to run out of sun magic and transform back into a human. I laid there panting on the floor, hands covered in blood and practically dying from the feeling from having no magic. Rayla stood there giving me a look like she was deciding between killing me or not since I saved them. "Hi," I said breathlessly smiling through the pain "Sorry about the bumpy ride, and I'm just going to lay here for a while so feel free to bomb-bard me with questions Rayla" Rayla shot me an even more suspicious face when I said her name. "Um, how do you know our names?" Callum asked breaking the very one-side conversation. "Aah" I sighed rolling over to a better position, "Through a small boy who saved my life from being killed be humans cause I was stuck in a net, his name being Ezran" then I shot a toothy smile at Rayla who's face had soften the most tiniest bit. I stared at the people before me. Was showing myself a good idea? In my chest a tiny little flicker of hope bloomed. Maybe they could be my new family.