chapter twelve.

A series of actions performed on a regular basis is known as routine. The dark purple room that Jack drunkly described to his friend started to become a part of his routines; he was now familiar with what was in every cupboard and every drawer of the desk that sat in the middle of the room and the closets that bordered it. They were filled with documents: ones that displayed numbers and names, some had drawings and designs on them, and others were very legal documents with fancy signatures at the bottom of each. Rett and Jack had been visiting this room every day, and Jack swore to himself not to tell his friends that he was here. He could tell Rian, but then Rian would tell Zack and the list would go on, probably ending with the information in Alex's hands.

Jack learned a lot about Rett. He found out that he was an illegal real estate agent, so he drove a taxi to give himself a response whenever people questioned his profession. The sketchy building with the room they were currently in was Rett's office, and the rest of the offices were occupied by other men and women who did the same thing as him. Some had side jobs as grocery store cashiers, waiters and waitresses, tutors, babysitters, retail cashiers, any small job you can think of. Jack soon found out the true meaning behind Rett's occupation. He signed documents and sold houses to people who want to get away. If anyone wanted to leave without saying anything to their friends, he was the guy to go to. He had all of the official papers saying where people like Jack moved to in case the police tried looking for someone who was unheard of and Rett needed to defend himself in court. But he specialized in dealing with people like Jack because... Well Jack wasn't really sure what Rett meant when he said "knowing people across America gives me links."

Jack had so many questions, but only asked one. "Links to what?" Rett snickered at the question and told him not to worry about it.

~~

It had been about five days of Jack sitting with Rett in his office looking for a place where Jack could start a new life, but Jack still had so many questions.

How did this guy get my number? How did he even know I was looking for a new home? Did I say something in the car and not realize it? Was it the way I looked at the house in the magazine? I've never heard of this "illegal real estate" bullshit, is this even legit?

His train of thought got cut off and the last question was answered when hysterical laughing could be heard from the end of the hallway.

"Another deal! Another deal! I sealed it! I sealed another deal!" The laughing voice got closer and as it passed by the room, Rett explained to Jack that one of his coworkers gets obsessed whenever he sells a house across the country.

"It's almost like he's always on drugs," he added, letting out a small chuckle as his coworker ran back down the hall, still laughing. That seemed very suspicious to Jack. Without a word, he opened the door and walked a couple of steps into the hallway to catch a glimpse of what this mysterious drugged man looked like. The jumped around the corner in an instant, and a faint "shut up" could be heard from another office. Jack could hear Rett lightly laugh at the comment. From what he saw if the man, he had curly greying hair that stuck up in all the wrong places and wore a lab coat, much like a mad scientist. Jack was about to question it, but his phone began buzzing in his pocket. It was Rian.

"Dude, you've gotta get out of there," Rian stated sternly without even greeting the younger man.

"Why's that? And get out of where?" Jack was a little bit shocked to hear Rian's words.

"Jack, I know you're in that building. It's not safe." Rian pauses for a moment before continuing. "Come over, I have to talk to you. I'm so worried about you right now it's insane!"

"Rian you don't need to be worried, I'm fine." Jack's tone of voice was getting colder. "Why are you so worried about me all the time anyway? We got drunk, had a good time like we usually do just the other night. I'm doing just fine, bud."

Rian didn't say anything in response, and Jack thought the line had cut off. Before he could ask, he heard Rian's voice again, but it was faint like he was talking to someone else. "Zack needs to see you," he finally stated.

It was nearly impossible to give no for an answer to any question Zack asked. Zack was like a precious little brother to the rest of the band. Jack cursed Rian under his breath for bringing out his weakness, then said "I bet Zack isn't even there, you prick. But I'll be right over." He just couldn't say no.

After Jack had arrived at Rian's house, he discovered that Zack was in fact there, and did want to talk to him. Jack refused to talk in front of Rian and silently prayed that Zack wouldn't object because then he would have to comply. He couldn't upset Zack. Respectfully, Rian made his way up the stairs of his house into his own bedroom, leaving the other two young men in the living room.

Neither of them said anything for about three minutes. Jack stared at Zack's hairline, then his jawline, then his perfectly defined biceps, and wished he could be as committed to working out as his friend was. It turned out that it was only Jack that hadn't said anything in the last three minutes, as he felt a strong grip on both of his shoulders and he was being shaken very harshly.

"Are you even listening Jack?!" Zack's voice was pretty loud; Rian could probably hear him now.

"You're perfect," Jack blurted without even thinking.

"Thanks but, Jack, please listen to me," Zack started to look almost sad, and it broke Jack's heart to see him like this. After a short pause, Zack questioned, "Wait, perfect for what?"

Jack shook his head feeling bad for accidentally ignoring one of his favourite people. "Sorry man, don't worry about it I'll tell you later. Can you repeat what you were saying earlier? It was kind of in one ear and out the other, but you have my full attention now." Zack's face lit up and Jack swore it was the cutest thing he'd seen since he saw his neighbour's pug three weeks ago.

"Okay, I have some questions, but you have to promise to answer them honestly." Zack was staring the older man straight in the eye, trying to look as serious as possible.

"I promise, Zack," Jack replied sincerely. If it was Rian saying this, he would have also promised, but probably not so sincerely.

"Alright, firstly, do you remember the questions that Rian asked you the day we got wasted at my house?" Zack questioned, straightening his posture.

Jack attempted adjusting himself in the same way that Zack just did, but he ended up slouching again before replying with a solid "No."

"Okay, where were you just now before you came here?" Jack's heart rate was speeding up quickly. He didn't want to break the news to Zack that he was trying to leave yet. He didn't even know if Rian had already told Zack or not. He obviously trusted Rian. They were best friends since high school. Jack was lost in his own train of thought and didn't realize that he was just staring past Zack at the wall behind him. After he didn't say anything, Zack asked another question. "Was it a building with a dark purple room and documents all in the cupboards?"

"I thought you were shitfaced and puking when I told Rian about Rett!" Jack yelled in a panic, then immediately covered his mouth and started to breathe heavily. He felt so bad for lying to Zack about not remembering that night. As much as it wasn't that big of a deal for Zack, Jack felt like he had betrayed his 'little brother'.

"So you do remember that night?" Zack questioned with a stern look on his face. That look was soon washed away and replaced by an expression of pity as Zack scooted closer to Jack and rubbed his back gently to calm him down. "Hey, it's okay, I'm not mad at you," he began softly. "I do know that you're hiding something from us, though. Rian told me what you told him the night that we were drunk together, and I know that may upset you, but trust me, we're only trying to help."

"How did you know about the documents, though?" Jack looked Zack in the eyes this time. "I didn't tell him that much did I?"

"No, but I know that building inside and out, trust me."

"I do trust you," Jack stated, making Jack smile. "But how?"

"It's a long story. I think you should get some rest though, and please consider not going to that building anymore," Zack said the last sentence almost as if it was a question. "It's dangerous, I can't really tell you why, though. Not yet anyway." He stood up. "Wanna stay the night here?"

Jack nodded. "Sure."