Chapter Seventeen: Thelma & Louise

Isaiah was sitting on the couch, between Drake and Trent, with Michael at the end. Officer Vega stood in front of them, looking down at them clenching and unclenching his jaw.

"When your parents get home I'm gonna-"

"No." Drake blurted out. The cop looked at him with wide, anger-rising eyes.

"What the hell do you mean, 'No'? You can't say no to an authority figure."

"Please, sir, don't tell my parents you were here. What I think you should do is-"

"You don't get to tell me what you think I should do. I don't know what you kids are trying to pull here, but I don't like it. Now, Isaiah," He turned to the kitchen area. He went to the dining area inside the kitchen and pulled a wooden dining chair over to the front of the couch. 
"Why did you lie to me?" 

Isaiah was looking down, not able to look Vega in the eyes. He was ashamed of lying to such a trusting adult, especially one of the law.

"Sir, I only wanted to help my friends. I only lied about not knowing them. The rest was the truth."

"And why did you lie about knowing them? Trent and Drake, that is."

Drake and Trent were exchanging glances at Isaiah and each other. Isaiah remained silent. One way or another, it seemed that Officer Vega was going to find out about the group's secret. Drake pitied Isaiah. Not only did he help him hide a murder and lie about it, but he broke his moral code and could possibly be arrested.

Drake cleared his throat, earning the attention from Jeremy Vega, "He lied for me."

"And why would he do that?"

The boys looked at each other, wary of what they were doing. Drake was almost paralyzed. He stood up and went to the door, and made sure the door was locked. He took his phone out of his pocket and sent his mom a text message. You guys should go ahead and watch a couple of movies at the theater, considering there were a few you wanted to watch. We need more time to work on our lines than we thought. I love you :) 

"Kid, hey, what are you doin'?" Vega stood from his chair, while Drake proceeded to put his back against his front door.

"I want to confess here, Officer. I think you want to sit down and listen." His voice held power in it he didn't even know he was capable of at the moment. 

Since Jeremy had nothing else to do but do as the kid said, he sat down, and immediately regretted not carrying his gun in with him. He underestimated what kind of weird situation he was in.

"I'll give it to you straight, Mr. Vega- That is your name, right?"

Jeremy sighed, "Yeah, that's right."

"Before you know anything, I want you to know something. Everything was for a good reason. I also want your word that none of this information will go to anyone else outside of this house."

"I can't promise you that. It's my job, and I'm expected to bring back a report on what I get from your interviews."

"Then you won't have anything to bring back for them." He went to sit back on the couch. "My parents won't be back until much later. Probably about 11 or so. So, if you want to stay and keep me and my friends hostage until then, which is probably not preferred considering you may have a wife, kids, or at least something to come home to. Also, I believe Isaiah has to get home by 7. If you want to keep us here till then, do it, we can't stop you. But no other words will come out of my mouth about your case unless you agree to confidentiality. That is the deal, sir." Drake sat back on the couch. He agreed to silence, so Vega would not get his interview.