Chapter One: Break Up

"That's bullshit!"

Charles exclaimed wildly, hitting his hands on the table. He was always being overdramatic. Trent watched him with his head in his palm. He didn't want his friends to make a big deal over his breakup with Sydney, his girlfriend of two years.

"Well, that's what she said, okay," Trent said, just trying to get his friends to stop talking about it.
"But that's not fair," Ryan chimed in, "how could she want to slow the relationship down to get to know you first when you've known each other since third grade?"

Trent just shrugged. He didn't know how to get out of the conversation besides just walking up and leaving.

"Well, how are you feeling about it?" Drake said, worried. Trent looked up and smiled, "Honestly guys, I'm fine. You don't need to worry about me."

Drake watched Trent carefully before letting the subject go. He hated seeing his friend sad, but Trent truly didn't look upset. Drake and Trent have known each other since middle school, which has given Drake the displeasure of seeing Trent have a few breakups. Of course, now that they were in high school, the relationships were lasting longer. Trent was known for being very friendly and likable around their school, which is very true and most likely the reason most girls liked him at one point or another. Even some guys.

Drake himself never really had many girlfriends. Only one through freshman year of high school. He was never interested in relationships, and he usually chalked that down to his focus on other things like school. He was usually quiet around people who weren't his friends, and he wasn't keen on meeting new ones. As far as he knew, he didn't even know how to be romantically involved with a girl.

Michael was the next to speak, but their food was called from the cashier. They were at Whataburger, their usual hangout. Ryan got up to get it.
"Let's switch the subject, I have a great idea." He was making wild hand gestures. "Since my Youtube channel has recently reached 10,000 views, and a-350 subscribers," He said excitedly. "I would like to film a video around the school, like a 'day in the life'."

"No offense Michael, but I doubt any of your subscribers care enough to watch that." Drake chuckled. Trent and Charles laughed along.
"Oh c'mon, some of the thousands of viewers might want to."

The whole table, almost on cue, simultaneously rolled their eyes. Including Ryan, who had just sat the food down. All of the guys murmured thank yous and picked up their wrapped burgers.

"Drake, why do you order such weird stuff?" Charles asked after Drake unwrapped his burger with swiss cheese, bacon, and honey mustard sauce.
"What's wrong with it?" Drake asked, taking a large bite.
"Well it sounds kinda disgusting," Charles replied like it was obvious.
Trent rolled his eyes. "Come on, Charles. You think everything you haven't tried is disgusting. I think it looks pretty good." He eyed the burger and then his own. They ate in silence, except for Michael occasionally bringing up his video idea again.

Trent finished before the others did. He rested his head on his hand patiently, watching the others eat. Drake always liked the way he did that. It was aesthetically pleasing to look at, like those stereotypical 'cute' guys in romantic comedies. Drake wouldn't say that out loud, let alone admit to himself that he liked Pretty in Pink or Say Anything. In hindsight, he didn't even recognize how feminine his tastes were. Trent was the one who pointed it out quietly when they were talking together. Fortunately for Drake, he never made a big deal about it.

"Hey guys, I gotta go to Michael's before we go home," Drake said, throwing his trash away.
Michael, truly confused, "Why do you have to come to my house?"
Ryan rolled his eyes, "He meant the art store, you fool."
"Well, I'm sorry I didn't get that." He replied, mock angrily.
"That is kinda confusing," Charles said, looking down and thinking to himself.