Chapter Fourteen: Mother, Father, Priest

Monday was the first day for the musical rehearsals. It was also the first day of police interviews from classroom to classroom, mainly stating how important the issue was that students come to them with any information they may have. Unfortunately, no students had any useful information. 

In their 3rd period class, Michael, Ryan, and Trent were in the same class, and that was when two police officers came into the room. As soon as they walked in, the boys had glanced at each other uncomfortably. 

"Hello, kids. I know you may wonder why there are so many of us here today. Well, your classmate, Luke Grass, as you should know, passed away last week. We thought it was an asthma attack, but now we think it may have been a murder. The department has emailed all of your parents, warning of the murder. All we need from the classes we're visiting is some form of information. Really anything about Luke that you can think of." The man with the name tag 'Willis' said.

The two officers looked around the classroom at the blank faces of the children. Michael and Ryan glanced nervously at each other, while others glanced at others. Trent remained silent with a neutral face, but he could feel sweat beading on his upper lip. It felt like he was having a half panic attack and half heart attack.

One guy raised his hand, and Officer Willis pointed at him. "I have a few classes with him, and he seemed stressed and annoyed almost every minute of the day. He just had a resting bitch face-um, sorry teach." 

The teacher just blinked rapidly and shook his head. The other officer, Officer George, looked to Officer Willis, "Alright, anyone else?" 

"You could look through the journal he kept." A voice from the back of the room announced. They all turned back to see the quiet Owen looking up from his chapter book.

"He had a journal?" Officer George asked. Trent looked at Michael, who was obviously breathing heavily. Even Michael knew he couldn't protect Drake if they found a journal of Luke's, which possibly could mention how he hated Drake or Trent. 

"Yeah, he carried it with him a lot. I think he secretly leaves it in the art room."

A girl turned around to face him, "If the journal's so secret, how do you know about it?"

He shrugged but never blinked, "The quiet people are more observant."

Trent mentally winced at that statement. The quiet ones are always the chaotic minded. That's what Isaiah had said before when Drake broke down crying. What else do quiet people do?

The officers nodded, "Well, we'll be sure to check that out, definitely. Anyone else?" They looked around the room, with silent awkward students staring back at them.

As they walked out, Officer Willis pulled his radio up to his mouth and said, "Is anyone in the art room?" And his voice faded out.

All three of the guys let out a deep sigh and looked at each other. They had to get that journal.

-----

The theater rehearsals started right after their last class in the auditorium. Trent and Drake met behind the curtains on the stage.

"Alright everybody," Ms. Hamilton's voice boomed from the center of the stage, "let's start with dance choreography! As we all know, Newsies has one of the most impressive dance routines of a Broadway musical. We've toned it down a bit, but we'll still need to work hard! All cast playing newsie characters, come to center stage."

Drake giggled, "Ha, you have to dance a lot."

Trent playfully rolled his eyes, and smiled, "Ha, you have to fall in love with a dancing idiot."