In The Long Run (2)

We eventually went back to my house. Wayne sat on the bed, but I couldn't sit still at a time like this, so I couldn't stop pacing.

"Maybe I should just tell my parents or consider abortion. Then again abortion without written consent from my parents might get me in even more trouble. Or I could just wait a while and then discuss adoption with my parents. Maybe I could just . . ." Before I could finish speaking, Wayne pulled me onto the bed with him. I was lying on my back with him slightly on top of me. He looked into my eyes like he always does, but this time it was awkward.

"Wayne, get off me. It's because of moments like this that we're in trouble."

He didn't get off, he just stared at me. I felt his breath on my lips before he kissed me. That was 'the' best kiss he ever gave me. When he pulled away I probably looked like a drug addict.

"Finally, now I get a chance to speak. So you keep your mouth shut and listen." he said as he smiled that oh so wonderful smile of his.

"Yes sir." was all I could breathe.

He chuckled and kissed me again, just for the fun of it.

"Okay..." he said as he pulled away "... this is how I see it. We made one hell of a mistake, but I don't think abortion is an option. Why does a defenseless human being have to die for our mistake?"

I sat up. "I see your point, plus abortion might have negative affects on me."

"Exactly. Now that we've ruled that option out, when are you going to tell your parents?"

"I don't know. I thought about telling them after the track finals or just before I start showing."

"Okay. I'm telling my parents the same time that you're telling yours."

"Why?"

"That way, no one feels like the other one new first, which kind of cuts the drama down to a minimum."

"Okay, makes sense."

Then there was silence.

"Now what?" I asked under my breath.

He smiled and climbed on top of me again.

"Wayne!"

"You're already pregnant, so what's the risk?" He smiled crookedly.

"Okay then. I'm giving you five seconds to get off me, or else I'll break the part of your anatomy that caused this screw up."

"Yeah, just go and blame my manhood for this. That's all you girls ever do."

"One . . ."

"You wouldn't."

"Two . . . "

"Come on Jamie."

"Three . . . "

"Stop counting."

"Four . . . "

"Okay, okay, I'll get off." He climbed off as he said it. I smiled triumphantly and sat up.

"Thank you."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." he said as he fell down on a pillow.

"Jamie, we're home!" my dad called from downstairs.

"We're in my room dad!"

Wayne put a pillow on his face just before my dad came in.

"Hey sweetheart, hey Wayne"

"Hi Dad."

Wayne mumbled some kind of "hello".

"What's the matter with him?" my dad asked, looking pretty serious.

Wayne just mumbled something about "personal problems". Boy was he right.

"O well, dinner will be ready soon. Would he like to join us?"

Wayne sat up "No thank you, sir. I'll be heading home soon."

"Okay, see you kids later." He left.

Wayne exhaled in relief and fell back down. I looked at him and said: "You wouldn't be able to take it, huh?"

"No, the guilt would kill me. I'd probably sit there gagging until I passed out or something."

"I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad." I said in the most reassuring voice possible as I lied down next to him..

"I got his daughter pregnant! I could never look your dad in the eye again!"

I took his face in my hands and gently stroked his cheeks. "Wayne, it's not that bad. He'll forgive you. You've always been like a son to him."

"Did you have to say that? Now it sounds like incest."

"Ew!" I pushed him away "Don't make it sound like that, dammit! Yuck!"

He just laughed at me and after I was done grossing myself out, I laughed along.

"I'd better go." Wayne said as he got up.

"Okay." I said softly.

I walked to the door with him. Before he went out, he turned around, kissed me and hugged me real tight.

"Everything's going to be just fine. You'll see. "

"If you say so." I muttered, looking down.

He pulled away and lifted my chin with his finger.

"I promise I'll do whatever it takes to make this work out."

"Okay." I said as I pulled back.

He smiled at me and I closed the door. I hung around long enough to hear him say "Shit" to himself. I laughed and went to the kitchen. Man, this is going to be a long nine months.