22 Searching

They found their way down to the King Alfred Statue and then asking a woman in a shoe shop, were directed to turn right at The Bishop On The Bridge Public House onto Colebrook Street. The nondescript little shop was set half way up on the right.

"Well" Said Severus, looking up at plain and unassuming signage and taking a deep breath to steady his sudden nerves.  "Here we are.... And it says 'Open'.  So.... the moment of truth.  Shall we?"

Harry nodded. 

"Then after you Mister Potter." He pushed the door open and Harry walked in, hearing a small 'ting' of a bell coming from somewhere in the old store. 

"One moment!" Shouted a man's voice, then within a few minutes the owner of the voice appeared with a big smile. 

"Welcome.  Welcome!" He effused, "Welcome to Gillan's Bookshop.  How can I help you..... Oh!! Oh my gawd! Harry Potter and.... and.... bless my soul! Is that Severus Snape?"  He stood with his mouth agape like a fish, then hurriedly closed the door leading into the small lounge behind him. 

"Arbuthnot?" Asked Severus, equally as surprised.  "Arbuthnot Gillan? My mother told me you'd left the Wizarding World and had a Book Shop somewhere but I never put two and two together."

"Small world eh? I left many many years ago.  It's good to see you again.  You were only about fifteen the last time our paths crossed.  And you, Mr Potter.  I'm honoured that you have come into my shop."  Severus raised his eyebrows at this, with a bored look on his face.  Harry gave him a sly grin.

"I knew your mother you know.  You have her eyes."

"So it's been said" Harry answered with a shrug.

"Now." Said Arbi, lowering his voice slightly "I don't need many guesses as to why you're here.  How did you find her?"

"My cousin Dudley."

Arbi sighed "Aaaah.  I thought he seemed interested in her name. Dursley! Of course. Lily's sister's boy." He then looked directly at Severus. "Have you come to take her away from me?" He asked with sadness in his voice.  "Hermione has become very dear to me over the....."

"Arbi! Do you know where the...... SEVERUS!"

Hermione pushed open the door to the shop floor and, arms full with books had almost dropped them when she saw Severus in the shop.

"Hello Hermione."  He said simply, feeling his heart constrict; all of his old feelings for her flooding his body.  

"Hi Hermione" Said Harry, stepping out from Severus' shadow.

"Harry? What are you both doing here?" She made no move to breech the few feet from where they stood. Her face was drained of colour, like she was in deep shock.

"We've been looking for you Hermione." Said Harry. He then walked to her and gave her a hug. Initially resisting she finally returned the embrace. "It's good so to see you. Everyone's missed you. Ginny and Jimmy send their love and we've got an Albus Severus now." He smiled, letting her go.

"Oh.... oh the baby? Oh yes of course. How lovely! Are they all well?"

"Tip top."

"Perhaps" Said Arbi, looking at Severus and then to Harry, "Severus and Hermione would like to catch up in private?"

Severus who had said nothing and watching her and Harry's exchange could only nod. Hermione took his gaze and held it, seemingly looking deeply into his soul.

"Yes." She said "thank you Arbi. May we use the back room?"

"Take him up to your flat and pour yourselves a drink. You both look like you could do with it. I'm sure Mister Potter and I can amuse ourselves for a while. Come Harry, let me shut up shop and make you a brew. I've some Golden Crunch Creams, hidden in the back for such emergencies...."