"Why are you sat on the floor?" He asked, worried.

"It was easier."

"Easier than what?"

"Than bending down to reach it." She huffed, gesturing towards the washing machine. But now she was down she couldn't get back up again. "If you don't stop laughing I'm going to kick you! Now help me up." He did. Then proceeded to take the liberty of adding laundry to his list.

It seemed that cooking had become the only thing he was happy for her to do, it wasn't straining or overly exerting, and now that she had gotten over the 'accidentally chopping off pieces of skin every time I pick up a knife' phase it was relatively safe. It suited Sanem fine. At least it would give her the opportunity to refine her skills; if she was going to do nothing other than cook then she was going to do a damn good job of it. Given time and a chance to practice, her cooking rapidly improved. Can was slightly startled and only mildly concerned when she began preparing meals entirely unsupervised. He had come back from the gym one evening to find her standing in the kitchen with Ilkay perched comfortably on her shoulders and a selection of vegetables stewing in a pan.

'What?' Sanem asked the cat, who was curiously poking her nose towards the content of the wooden chopping board. 'It's onion. You don't like onions.' Sanem offered Ilkay a piece to sniff and the cat immediately sneezed, making Sanem grin.

The kittens were getting bigger. Sanem was sure they must have had some Angora in them as they still hadn't grown into their big ears or gangly legs, and their long fur was getting even longer, forming mini manes and thick bushy tails. The regal-looking cats were a far cry from the scraggly kittens Sanem had rescued all those months ago.

Sanem looked up, noticing Can enter. She smiled. Despite the disturbance, their little bubble of domestic bliss had returned to its initial calm. Upon request, Huma had so far kept her distance, allowing them time to decide what their next move would be. Giving them time to think. Can's call to his father had been painful but had revealed an uncomfortable truth behind some of what Huma had said.

He'd always believed his mother hadn't loved him. That she'd disappeared with Emre and mercilessly left Can behind, abandoned and forgotten - but that wasn't the whole story. She did love him. In her own slightly warped and cold way, she did love him. Maybe he could be willing to forgive her for the incident at the wedding, it seemed Sanem already had, thought the decision hadn't been easy for her. It left a bitterness in his mouth that he now had to learn to forgive his father too. Which was only worsened by knowing he might not have long left to do it. Aziz had insisted he was fine but the weakness in his voice told otherwise. It was unfair. Why did his family have to be growing while also on the precipice of shrinking at the same time? He was scared to let time pass, hoping to live in a world where his father still existed a while longer, yet at the same time wishing he could skip forward, desperate to know what it felt like to hold their baby in his arms for the first time.

He pushed the thoughts away. If he thought about it for too long it would make his heartache. Instead, he chose to focus on Sanem as she continued cooking, humming as she did so and occasionally running a hand absentmindedly over her belly. God, he hoped their family didn't end up a mess like his parents' had. He made a silent promise. That he would spend every moment until his last, making sure Sanem always felt loved, appreciated and cared for. That he would keep their little family safe.

Ilkay slid of Sanem's shoulder's and Can took the opportunity to replace her. Stepping up behind his wife, he slid his arms around his waist and held her close against him. Sanem sighed, sinking back into his embrace.

"Have I told you I love you today?" He asked.

"I don't recall. Not that I ever mind hearing it again and again." She smiled, her brow knitting slightly in surprise at his unexpected display of affection. "What's brought this on?"