Chapter 1: What?!

Evelyn’s point of view……

I loved my mother. I knew how hard she had to work to raise me alone. My mother would tell me stories about my father. I had been curious about what he looked like and who he was as a person. I never thought to search for him. 

My mother gave me a picture of them together. It was my favorite photo in my room. I didn’t mind about not meeting him. He had his own reason to leave my mother even though I didn’t know the reason. I just wanted my mother to be happy. I was happy that she was my mother.

My godparents loved me very much. They would take me to their workplace whenever they had the time. I would help with little things. My Uncle Jason was a CEO of a security company. He had me test out his latest security systems. My Aunt Cindy owned a small bakery. She would let me be the taste tester at times. Sometimes, I came up ideas for new flavors.

At the age of four, my mother started to work as a florist. Weddings were her specialty and she could make great bouquets of flowers and center pieces. She would take me to work while I was home schooled. Her boss and coworkers didn’t mind at all.

At the age of four, I found something very interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a sunny day outside. We had a big rainstorm that lasted for a few days. I really wanted to go outside and play because I was bored with staying inside the house. Mother was cooking our spaghetti dinner.

“Evelyn. You can go play outside for now. Dinner will be done in an hour,” mother told me. “Yes mama,” I said and ran out the door towards a small lake near our home. It was surrounded by trees that looked almost enchanted. The water glistened from the sun’s rays. 

I loved the lake. It was a very peaceful place to go to to watch nature. Nobody would come here except for me. Once at the lake, I looked into the water to see my reflection. {Wow. I really do look like my mother…but….} Something told me that I was looking more like someone else.

After a while, I noticed something in the water. Something shiny. {What is that?} I felt drawn to it. Hesitantly and curiously, I reached into the water. Next thing I knew, I saw a creature. It peaked it’s head out of the water.

I gasped from the sight. It looked almost like a snake with horns and a dragon as well. It had a amber color jewel on it’s head. It watched me cautiously. Fright started to flow through me. My body was shaking “I have been watching you.” {Is that thing talking to me?}

“Who…what are you?” I asked it. “I’m a horned serpent,” it said to me. {A horned serpent? That can’t be…} “Do you …live here?” I asked it. It gave me a nod. “I have been watching you for some time,” it told me.

“Why?” I asked. “You seem to understand what I am saying,” it told me. I gave it a nod. “I don’t know why though,” I told it. It seemed to be nice. “Are you the only one here?” I asked it. It shook it’s head. “No. There are other’s like me,” it told me. {There are more.}

What is your name?” it asked me. “Evelyn. Do you have a name?” I asked it. It shook it’s head. “Would you like a name?” I asked it. “If it’s easier for you to remember,” it told me. “What…you know…” I wasn’t sure about gender.

I’m a boy,” it told me. “What about …Asmodeus. It’s actually a name from a book I had finished reading,” I said to him. He gave me a nod in approval.