I considered Kaida's request the night of the dance. "Yes, but what if I do?" I was trying to flirt, but an odd expression flickered across Konai's face. I couldn't quite read it. Then he laughed, "I suppose I'd deserve it, after how I've behaved." He looked quite charming sitting on the edge of his bed. My heartbeat lost its rhythm and then took off.

I turned and stared at the armoire, trying to compose my thoughts. "This is lovely, where did you get it?" I ran my finger over the beautiful maple wood. There were intricate carvings across the front, and little pieces of shell inlaid into the surface.

"Your father gave it to my father years ago." His voice was light. My hand froze on the edge of the armoire. I turned and looked at him, he was smiling, but it didn't reach his eyes. "My DAD? Patu knew my dad?" Konai gestured towards the bed again, and I sat on the edge. He leaned down, reaching underneath the large wooden dresser next to him, and pulled out a small book. He unfolded the first page, and pictures fell out. It was a faded photo album that looked older then the both of us.

"Your dad had a lot of stuff with him from when he was traveling, and when he decided to stay here, well, he just gave most of it away." He held up a picture, it was a cart full of old furniture, his armoire included. A young man was standing next to the cart. "That's Patu, isn't it?" I picked up the picture and examined it carefully.

"Yeah, that's my dad. He helped your dad move all his stuff off the boats. Then he told him he could have his pick of whatever he wanted out of all the things that he had helped unload. This armoire was in with all the different things Andre gave to him."

Being careful as to not crack the delicate surface of the pictures, he gathered up some of the fallen ones and handed one to me. It was a picture of two young girls smiling happily. "This is my favorite, my mom looks so happy." I looked at the two girls. My heart flipped suddenly. "This... this is my mom, isn't it?" The girl next to Konai's mom looked a bit like me. She was the same size and shape as me, only darker and much more exotic.

"Yes, it is. They were very close. You could say us being together was probably destined to happen." He chuckled lightly. I blushed and fiddled with the end of my braid. "You look just like her, you know?" My eyes darted to his face, and I knew I blushed even redder. "Thank you." I whispered. I didn't completely agree, but I liked the compliment. My mother had been beautiful.

The house fire that had claimed my parents had also destroyed every picture and memorable item had owned. I'd never actually seen such a clear picture of my mother before. He leaned closer, placing his hand on my cheek. "You're welcome." He touched his lips to mine for only a moment. My mind spun quickly out of control.

"Maybe we should go downstairs..." My voice was barely audible, and he chuckled again. "Yes, I think that would be a very good idea." Only his voice was deeper, huskier. He looked at me then, his eyes taking the time to roam over my face. They stopped on my lips and he leaned in once more and kissed me again. Heat twisted inside me and I shook, he pulled back, breathing heavily. "Yes, definitely a good idea," he bounded off the bed, yanking me towards the door. I had to laugh.

He stopped just outside the door, "It just wouldn't be very gentlemanly of me to behave such a way, especially without you having a proper chaperone." "But, you ARE my chaperone, remember?" I recalled every time Kaida and I had ever attempted to go anywhere, and Konai had always been ordered to go with us. His eyes sparkled for a moment, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

I tried to hand him back the picture, but he touched my hand and pushed it back towards me. "Please, keep it. It would make me happy if you did." I looked at the picture once more and tucked it into my sweater. "Thank you Konai."