Storms and Brothers

After the momentary shock wore off, I realized I was crouched on the floor, and I moved to stand. As I tried to steady myself and make my way towards the door, I was yanked back and shoved into the nearest booth.

“STAY.” Konai growled, then grabbed his sister and tossed her on top of me.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” We both yelled in unison.

Konai ignored us and turned to the other boys, “Tor, you’re coming with me to get Sky. Teddy, I need you and Miki to get the girls back up to my house as quickly as possible.” He turned and Tor followed him towards the door.

“Now wait just a minute, I’m coming with you!” I shoved Kaida at Miki and rushed forward.

“No, you’re not.” He didn’t even turn around. “You and the girls are all going up to my house, you’ll be safest there.” Konai kept moving towards the front entrance.

Honey slid from behind Tana, “I don’t… I don’t think leaving is a good idea. Maybe we should all stay here.” She looked past Konai to the downpour outside.

Tor turned and smiled softly at her, “Don’t worry Honey, we’re just going to get a friend and make sure he‘s safe. We’ll meet you up at Konai’s house.” He patted her shoulder reassuringly, “It’s not too far from here, and Tana, Kaida and Andrea will be with you, everything will be fine.”

Honey smiled weakly and I turned to glare at Konai, “This is ridiculous, why can’t I go with you?” I put my hand on his arm and tugged him to a stop.

“Because you will be a distraction if I’m worried about you too.” Konai turned and attempted to glare at me, but failed miserably. His tone had gone soft and he looked worried.

“Alright, enough chit-chat….everybody move.” Miki shoved Teddy forward and we took turns stepping carefully out the front door and into the rain. Tana turned around and locked the double doors behind us, and I eyed Konai’s car. It was only a few feet away.

Konai glanced up at the sky, “Hurry up, I don’t think there’s much time left before the worst of it is going to hit us.” He shoved the two younger boys in the direction of the side street, then he and Tor started across the parking lot to his car.

Teddy and Miki helped the girls around the corner of the restaurant, out of the harsh wind. I turned quickly and ran back, then pulled on the car door before Tor could close it. He gasped and I pushed him further into the car, landing half on his lap as I jumped in, and I slammed the door behind me. Teddy and Miki watched from the sidewalk, both of them staring, mouths open in shock.

Tor immediately yelped and slid to the side, scooting me off of him. Konai turned to glare at me and I held up my hands, “You can waste time arguing or drive. Your choice.”

Konai turned to look out his windshield then growled, a moment later he slammed the car into gear. “You are in serious trouble Andrea.”

“I know.”

Tor sat quietly between us as Konai reversed and sped out of the parking lot. As we pulled away I saw a worried expression on Honey’s face, and a smirk on both Tana and Kaida’s. I would have smiled, but knew I was in too much trouble already.

I watched Konai’s hands twist tightly over the steering wheel. Oh yes, I was in deep trouble. “You… you can’t tell me what to do.” I stated lamely. I inhaled deeply and voiced my own worries, “You’re going out there to find one of our friends, and put yourself in danger. Sooner or later I would have left the house to come look for you and try to help. It’s better this way, because I’m already with you….” My voice trailed off and I turned to stare at the rapidly passing scenery. The winding road seemed to lead on forever as rain pelted the windshield through the breaks in the overhanging trees.