Krampus

Name: Krampus

Features: Hairy, cloven hooved & horned monster

Source: Austro-Bavarian Alpine Folklore

Habitat: All over Europe

This evil & frightening character is very much the polar opposite of another popular & positive fellow that many are very familiar with during Christmas festivities – good old St Nicholas.

While Santa represents the core essence of dreams & hope for children around the world, this dark being is the main ingredient of unthinkable evil & terrifying nightmares.

This Christmas time beast has been depicted in many variations with some particular characteristics proving to be more popular. He is usually said to be very hairy, black or brown, having the horns of a goat and large cloven hooves. He is also known for having a very long pointed tongue.

He has been described as carrying bundles of birch branches that he uses to hit children with. Sometimes these are replaced with a large nasty whip. He is also known to carry either a sack or basket for carrying children off to be eaten, drowned or taken straight to hell.

Just as St Nicolas is responsible for all of the well behaved children, this horned devil is devoted to all of the trouble making ones. In Croatia, it is believed that St Nicholas gives good children presents and a golden branch to represent their good deeds. If a child has misbehaved, the hairy horned devil takes the gifts and leaves only a silver branch to represent their bad deeds.