Chapter 34 - SummerSlam

~ August 25th 2002 ~ 

Tonight was Shawn's first match in four years for the WWF. Naturally his first match had to be during a PPV so Shawn and Vince voted on SummerSlam. His entrance would have confetti that shot out of cannons just to be extra. The part that worried me was that the match itself was a unsanctioned street fight.

We were in our hotel room a few hours before SummerSlam began, I was sitting on the bed with Cheyenne laying in the middle playing with a stuffed animal, She had been grumpy all day and was needing a nap. Shawn walked over and kissed my head as I smiled up at him.

"You feeling okay?" I asked, he'd been nervous with good reason, but I knew he was ready to wrestle again. 

He nodded "Yeah, just nervous is all. Hope I'm ready." He said glancing down to Cheyenne and smiling.

"Well, would you be okay if we stayed here?" I said gesturing between myself and our daughter. "She's been grumpy all day and needs to sleep, and thousands of people screaming Dad's name won't help." We both laughed 

"That's fine, I'll be back right after, okay?" I nodded and smiled.

"I'll be watching though, Promise."

He smiled "You always do." We then kissed and he picked up Cheyenne. 

"And you, behave for mom." He kissed her cheek as she laughed and gently pulled on his hair, he laid her back down next to me and kissed me once more, then he began putting his gear in his bag.

An hour later I had finally gotten Cheyenne to sleep and Shawn was ready to leave. He walked over to me and kissed me, he then spotted Cheyenne sleeping and gently kissed her on the head, moments later I felt two arms wrap around my waist as I was pulled into Shawn's chest, I smiled as he lowered his head to my ear and began whispering.

"I love you" He said in a low voice that gave me shivers. He must have noticed since he continued. "You okay?" I could hear the grin on his face.

"I'm fine, just thinking about how much I love you." I smiled as he gently began rubbing my waist. "Maybe you could stay for a bit longer?" I asked in a low whisper as his grip tightened.

"I really wish I could, but I can't." He said with his face buried in the crook of my neck.

"Guess I'll have to wait until you come back then huh?"

"If you can wait that long." He smiled once more.

"I'll manage, good luck on your match, Mr Michaels." I laughed as I teased 

"You're all the luck I need, Mrs. Michaels." He said as he grabbed his bag and left the room.

An hour later I was on the couch watching the hotel TV waiting for Shawn's match, Cheyenne was still luckily asleep, I was also twirling my wedding band around my finger, something I tend to do in high stress. (true story)

I was deep in thought about anything and everything that could go wrong during this match I was broken from my thoughts at the sound of the the beginning promo before the match, the promo going over how close they were with me involved, then the betrayal etc. 

They both made their entrances and the match began. They beat each other with everything from trash cans, chairs, belts. Any weapon you could think of basically, and the ref looked like he was going to have a heart attack the whole time. But come to think of it I probably did as well. 

Shawn won the match with sweet chin music until Hunter attacked him from behind with the sledgehammer, that's when I became fully terrified. I saw medics take him out of a stretcher and I've never ran to the phone so fast. 

I called Vince, screaming at him before he could even speak.

"Is he okay?!" I was regretting every second not being there with him.

"They're looking him over now, look. I'll have someone come pick you up from your hotel and take you to the hospital with him."

"Hospital?!" I then sighed trying to calm down. "Okay.. Okay. Thank you Vince."

"You're welcome. They'll be there in just a few moments." He then hung up and I prepared things to take for Cheyenne who had woke up during all my screaming. I felt bad of course but I was too worried about Shawn.

Fifteen minutes later a limo pulled up in front of the hotel, of course, only a limo from a McMahon. I held Cheyenne close to me as we got inside, she was beginning to learn to speak, she could only form tiny sentences but they were still understandable.

"Daddy hurt?" I looked down to her, she had a worried look on her face I shook my head and smiled slightly.

"Daddy's going to be okay, we're going to go see him."

Her face then lite up and she smiled "See daddy?" I laughed and nodded. 

"Yes sweetheart, see daddy."

Twenty minutes later we were dropped off in the front of the hospital. We walked in and someone escorted us to Shawn's room. The nurse walked in first.

"Mr. Hickenbottom, your wife is here." She then opened the door for me and I walked in holding Cheyenne in my arms.

Shawn was laying in the bed with a bandage on his head and an IV stuck in his arm. I walked over to him and he smiled up at me. I shook my head and smiled.

"Are you okay?" I asked sitting Cheyenne down on the floor, she grabbed onto the edge of the bed and used it to help her stand.

He nodded. "I'll be just fine, now that you're here." I laughed and nodded.

"Daddy hurt" Cheyenne said pointing to his bandage, Shawn looked down to her, he moved his hand over to her as she gently grabbed it.

"Daddy's alright, I'll be out tomorrow, okay?" She nodded as he smiled at her.

We stayed with Shawn for a few more hours until Cheyenne began getting sleepy again, Shawn was getting pretty tired himself.

"I'll take her back to the hotel." I said picking her up as she was already half asleep. 

Shawn nodded and began drifting off. "I love you." I hears him say quietly, I turned towards him and smiled.

"I love you too."