Chapter Twelve: Warmth and Pain.

Start from the beginning

"Yep..." 

"Look, he'll be fine," she stated. "We just have to support him. Everything will turn out alright. I just know it."

Upon hearing those words, my eyes darted back up. A rather concerned, pained expression formed upon my face as I locked eyes with the girl before me. I searched for an ounce of weakness, or pain within her, but saw nothing but a smile; how?

"You continue to say things will be okay," I said. "But, are you okay?"

"You need to stop worrying about me. There's no need to," she replied, her smile still in place.

"...Alright." 

Once the day was over, S/N and I began making our way to my apartment. As we walked down the street, she smiled and greeted those that passed by us; though, I remained entirely silent and standoffish. I trudged forward, crossing my arms tightly as the cold penetrated my warm clothing. Though the weather was slightly warmer due to winter approaching its end, and there was no snow falling, I somehow felt colder. 

Once we had arrived at my apartment, S/N didn't waste any time charging inside; she barely gave me enough time to unlock the door. She hummed a happy tune, then began following behind me as I quietly made my way towards the kitchen.

"So..." She began, her voice rather loud as her eyes scanned the room. "Where's Kokichi?" 

"He's probably still asleep," I replied, reaching up to open the cabinet. "So, maybe you should be a bit quieter."

I reached into the cabinet, pulling out a rather large container of ground coffee, then reached for the coffee filters. I placed the filter into the coffee maker and poured the grounds inside, then I got some water and proceeded to fill the back of the coffee maker.

"Damn, he must have been tired." She then looked towards me, finally taking notice of what I was doing. "Are you seriously making coffee this late?"

"Kokichi's going to want it when he gets up," I replied, pressing start on the coffee maker. "And I could use some too. It's already been a long day, and yet there's still a lot to do." Within a moment or so the smell of brewing coffee made its way into my nose, soothing my ever so slightly. "So, while you're just standing there, mind ordering some pizzas?"

"Hey, you know that I spent all my—"

"It's on me," I interjected. "Just order whatever, alright?"

"Heh, I can't refuse that," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. "Sure thing. I'll be riiiiggghhtt back."

At that, she walked out of the kitchen with her phone in hand. I stood there silently as I listened to the light sound of coffee brewing. With her gone, the kitchen was rather quiet; perhaps too quiet. As I thought further, a realization hit me; Did I really just tell her to order whatever when I'm paying?