Chapter 1 Two Thieves and a Baby

Start from the beginning

She shook her head. “No. People rarely come around here.”

“Really now?” The man gazed up as though he had a sudden idea.

Gothel stared past him as something caught her eye. “Well, usually not but now…”

Her voice trailed off and the man turned his head to see what she spotted. Three men who appeared to be armed guards rode up towards her tower.

The man threw his arms up in a panic. “Oh no, they found me!” He turned his head desperately to Gothel. “You have to hide me!”

“What?” Gothel took a step back, startled by his sudden demand and then looked down avoiding his eyes. “I am sorry, but I cannot aid a thief.”

“Please,” he persisted with desperation. “Do you know what they do to thieves in this kingdom? Look, if you hide me now, I’ll make it up to you. What do you say?”

Gothel let out a reluctant sigh and briefly motioned her hand. “Go hide in those bushes in front of the tower.”

Just as he dove into the bushes the three guards rode up and demounted their horses. They approached Gothel with caution as though if they stepped too close they may burst into flames. The guards still appeared determined, especially the leader, who had a gruff face with a short messy beard.

“Dame Gothel,” the front guard began. “We are sorry to disturb you, but we are currently trying to hunt down a thief. Have you seen anyone unusual in these parts of the lands?”

“Um…” Gothel could feel her heart pounding heavily as she turned her head briefly to the bushes and saw the thief desperately hold his hands up in prayer position. She then quickly shook her head. “No. I have not seen anyone around here.”

The guard let out a sigh as he pulled out a piece of parchment from his pocket. He extended it out to Gothel and the moment she took it, he hastily pulled back keeping his distance.

Despite his fear, the guard continued to keep his tone confident. “Well, if you see this man please send word back to the royal court of Tiare. We would really like to catch this man. Oh…” He pulled out more parchment, handing it to Gothel. “This is his wife. We would like to catch her as well.”

Gothel quickly nodded, looking at the pictured. “Yes, of course I will send word to the kingdom.”

The guard nodded, thanking her, and then made no hesitation to summon his men back to their horses and then they speedily rode off. Gothel took a moment to look at the female thief. She was portrayed with dark thick hair in tight ringlets. This woman wore a hard cold expression on her face, though Gothel assumed they would not draw a wanted criminal smiling.

“Wow, those men seemed quite nervous around you,” the man commented as he stepped out of the bushes.

Gothel let out a doleful breath. “Yeah, most people are.”

The man nodded, though he did not seem to be listening, and then announced, “Well, I should be off, now. Thank you for your help.” He turned back and extended his hand. “My name is Carlos.”

“Gothel,” she replied taking it, briefly and then recalled something, “Wait, you said you would owe me if I helped you.”

Carlos turned back, lifting his hand up. “Indeed I did.” His hand moved to his chin as he gazed about the garden. “Let’s see. This is quite a large amount of vegetables for just one person. I am going to do you a huge favor by taking some of these off your hands.”

Gothel put her hand up and muttered, “Wait… “

As he gathered he looked up to her with a bold grin. “I insist. It’s the least I can do.”