16• ME, HER AND THE AUTUMN BREEZE

Start from the beginning

"Did you leave? Maerceci?" She whispers and he looks at us confused.

"Jesse?" I ask and he doesn't answer, dazed.

I clear my throat as a tight feeling runs through it.

I touch it, turning to Sabrina who's the same.

I wheeze, clawing at my throat.

That son of a bitch.

I stumble back as I choke on nothing and I claw at my throat as something slithers through it.

I gasp as air fills my lungs and I stare Ambrose and Sabrina.

***

"It felt like he was slithering down my throat" Sabrina grimaces and I nod.

"How did he do that? How could he touch us?" I turn to Ambrose and he shrugs.

"Bugger must be a higher demon, some of them can lay hands on you on your astral body if they find you in the realm. I don't want to say i told you so but..." he smirks.

"We got his name, Ambrose" I say in a mocking voice, grinning.

"Maerceci" Sabrina rolls it's off her tongue, handing him a note of the spelling.

"Can't say it rings any bells, it's not Euphratean or Mesopotamian" he hums.

"Maybe we could ask Nicholas Scratch or Jamie Parker or Father Blackwood, they are demonologists after all" Sabrina shrugs and Ambrose starts laughing.

"No needs Jesse's demon isn't Sumerian at all" he writes on the note.

"He's just a cheeky bastard with a fondness for word play" he holds it up.

Maerceci
Icecream

"That little minx" I gasp.

"Ice cream?" Sabrina huffs, we've been tricked.

"Demons have an awful taste in humour" he crumples it up, throwing it at us and it hits my shoulder.

"Can you blame them? They live in hell. So, do you have any other tid bits?" He leans back in the chair.

"He said something about Jesse setting him free" Sabrina furrows her brows.

"Free? From what? Or where?" Ambrose wonders and I look between them, "i think I know where".

"Cousin where are you going? You almost died" Ambrose stresses as Sabrina heads for Harvey's.

***

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask as Susie and I sit in a booth at Dr Cerberus'.

She called me pretty upset about her dad sending Jesse to a mental institution.

"I don't know, I just don't want him to be scared or that he'll be stuck somewhere that's not safe for him" she sniffles.