Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

Walking down the barren streets, Ben had his head down and was not watching where he was going. Abruptly, a man stiff-shouldered Ben, knocking him off balance. 

"Hey, watch where you're going, asshole," the man said. 

Ben looked up and saw Chad walking away. Since Ben was operating on little sleep, his judgment was a bit off. Without thinking, he did something he had always wanted to do.  

"Hey, buddy," Ben called out, as he ran toward him. 

Chad stopped and turned around. Before he could get a good look, Ben punched Chad right in the face, knocking him to the ground. Ben then got on top of him and punched him a few times in the ribs. He eventually stopped when Chad started to cry. 

"Leave me alone!" he wailed like a little kid. Ben actually felt bad for him. Underneath the tough exterior, Chad was just a frightened little boy. There was no way Ben could continue to hit him in good conscience so he withdrew and ran off. 

On his way back to the hotel, he saw future Ben waiting outside for him.  

"What are you doing?" young Ben asked. 

"It's about that time, Ben." 

"What time?" 

"It's time to go, get in." 

"Where's Vanessa?" 

"She's sleeping in the backseat." 

Ben looked in the back and saw what appeared to be a body with a blanket covering it. It hardly seemed legit, but Ben didn't question it. He figured his older self would not lie to him, so he jumped in the passenger seat and they drove off. 

"It felt good to punch Chad in his smug face, didn't it?" the older Ben asked 

"How did you know that I... never mind. Yeah, it felt really good until he started to cry." 

They both shared a laugh. 

*** 

Vanessa woke up to discover her boyfriend was not sleeping beside her. She sat up on the bed and looked over at the other queen bed - future Ben was gone as well. Vanessa noticed a folded note on the nightstand by her bed. She picked it up and read it: 

Dear Vanessa, 

I have to go to Calgary and take care of some things. It may be dangerous and I don't want you to get involved. I paid for the hotel until the end of the week; I should be back by then.  

Love, Ben. 

*** 

"Vanessa has been sleeping a long time," Ben said, as he looked in the backseat. "Hey, wake up, sleepy head," he said, reaching in the back and pulling the blanket off. Underneath were a couple of pillows arranged to look like a sleeping body. 

"Where is she?" Ben yelled. 

"Don't worry, she's fine. She's back at the hotel. I left her a note from you. It's a good thing we have the same handwriting." 

"Turn around, we have to go back for her," Ben demanded. 

"I understand you are upset, believe me, I went through the same thing." 

"Turn this car around, now!" 

"We can't do that, Ben. There isn't enough time." 

"Time for what? What are you not telling me?" 

"It's going to get a little dangerous over the next few days, Ben, and time is of the essence." 

"If you've been through this before, then you know what I'm willing to do. If you don't turn this car around, you'll regret it." 

"Okay, don't do anything foolish. There's a rest area up ahead, we can turn around there." 

Young Ben sat in the passenger seat, fuming with rage. A part of him knew they would not turn around for Vanessa. If she was meant to be on the trip, then she would be with them already. Without the foresight of upcoming events, Ben just did what he would naturally do. The older Ben seemed to be keeping him in the dark about a lot of details, which frustrated him. Future Ben said it was to ensure younger Ben's reactions to events were organic. Having too much knowledge of a situation may alter the course of history and have unforeseen consequences in the future. 

Future Ben pulled the car over and turned off the engine. "Listen, Ben, I know what you're thinking and you don't want to do that." 

"You don't know what I'm thinking. I want you to get out of the car." 

The older Ben complied with young Ben's request and got out of the car. Young Ben got out as well. 

"You don't want to fight me, Ben. I know every punch you will throw before you even decide to throw it." 

"Shut up." 

"Aww, you are so young and naïve, it's almost embarrassing to watch you. You are being pushed around by your emotions; you have to learn a little self-control." 

"Put your hands up, old man," young Ben said, as he circled his senior counterpart. 

"Ben, you're not a fighter. You sucker punched your old boss while he stumbled to work half asleep. That doesn't make you a tough guy." 

"I'm done talking with you. Get out of my head." 

"You know, you should never admit to someone that they've gotten into your head, it makes it easier to manipulate you." 

"You're not manipulating me. I'm not a puppet, okay? I have free will." 

Young Ben lunged forward with a right fist. The older Ben moved slightly to avoid the punch and slapped young Ben in the face. This enraged and humiliated young Ben, inciting him to attack again. Full of aggression, young Ben swung wildly. His future-self manoeuvered to avoid the entire combination with minimal effort. At the end of the flurry, the older Ben kicked younger Ben's legs out from under him, knocking younger Ben to the ground. 

"Trust me, this isn't a fair fight," the older Ben said. 

Still on the ground, young Ben looked up at himself with anger and frustration.  

"Ben, there's no shame in losing a fight against yourself. In a sense, you never really lose. Let this be a lesson. Only when you stop fighting yourself are you capable of achieving greatness. Sometimes our issues and ego stand in our way and prevent us from being great." 

Ben got up, dusted himself off, and conceded to defeat. 

"Are you calmed down now?" future Ben asked. 

"Yeah, I'm good. I'll go along with your plan. Whatever you want me to do, I'll do." 

"Glad to hear." 

"Give me the keys; I'm driving the rest of the way."