Chapter Forty-Four

Ben studied the man. They were both the same height, similar build, and had similar facial features. If observing a younger version of oneself was strange, observing an older version was even weirder. Ben knew what he looked like a year ago, but to see himself as an old man was a trip.  

"I go bald?" Ben asked, running his fingers through his hair. 

"I'm afraid so," the man said with a chuckle. 

"Do you mind telling me what the hell is going on?" Ben asked. 

"You know, Ben, you don't give yourself enough credit sometimes. We're a lot smarter than you think. Forty years ago I stood where you are standing now, and I asked the same question. I'll tell you what the future us told me, but not here. Let's go back to your hotel, I believe you have an extra bed for me." 

The three of them entered the vehicle with Vanessa taking the back seat to allow the two Bens to talk. During the short ride back to the hotel room, older Ben began to fill in the missing details of this grand mystery. 

"You have it mostly figured out already, Ben. You figured out you travelled back in time, bought the lottery ticket, and met with Velena. But as of this moment, you have no idea what to do next, right?" 

"No clue." 

"You've probably read some notes about your life having a purpose. You inherit a house, discover a secret manuscript, and learn about the lost connection you have with Charles Gringer, but what does it all mean, you wonder?" 

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm wondering. Please tell me you have the answers?" 

"Yes, I will tell you everything, including who those two thugs are who were chasing after you." 

"Please, I'm dying to know." 

"Don't say that," older Ben said. "If you die now, you'll kill us both." 

"Sorry, figure of speech." 

"The two goons are from the future. They're called guardians." 

"Guardians?"  

"It's a long story, but they are essentially time cops." 

"What do they want with me?" 

"They want to prevent you from changing the world." 

"I change the world?" Ben asked. 

"Yes, and in a big way. You see, so far all these events have happened to you, but the truth is, your purpose is to serve Kyle." 

"Kyle?" Ben said. "What does he have to do with any of this?"  

"Everything. What you do from this moment forward is integral to helping him invent time travel. The money you leave for Kyle, which he will discover a year from now, will enable him to build a lab and employ some of the most brilliant minds around the world. Together, they will embark on a journey to do what no one else has been able to do. After nearly fifty years of toil and sacrifice, he and his team eventually develop a working prototype of a time machine - that little gizmo in your pocket. To test it, he needed a volunteer. Any guesses as to who he chose?" 

"You... me... I mean, us?" 

"Yes, exactly." 

"You have no idea how many questions I have had throughout this past year. After you came into my apartment and saved my life, things became really strange." 

"Indeed," the man said. "And yes, I do have an idea." 

"Is there no time travel etiquette? I mean, couldn't you have left me a note or something?"