Chapter 10

"Alleah, sweetheart, we are home," my most favorite voice in the world called to me, the feeling of strong arms setting me down on the couch accompanying it.

"How does she stand to sleep like that?" Barry asked, his butt plummeting into the couch beside me. "It I slept like that, I would get terrible headaches."

"It's called being awesome," I said, my comeback being thoughtless but not bad for just coming out of energizing myself. Barry sent me a look that told me what I already knew; lame comeback.

"Creative, Alleah. Real creative," Phil snorted, sticking his head into the refrigerator and pulling out an ice cold lemonade. "I don't even think that my dog would have come up with something that brilliant."

I stuck my tongue out at him and sat up, watching my father as he reclined in his lazy boy. He looked like he had just been beat with a baseball bat and I felt a tinge of guilt. He was tired because of me and nobody needed to tell me that for me to figure it out.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, eyeing him with concern. He opened his baggy eyes and looked at me, a smile spilling slowly on to his lips.

"Of course I am, honey. You're here with me safely. I've never been better," he winked at me and closed his eyes, relaxing back into his velvet chair. "I'm just thoroughly exhausted. Can you do me a favor?"

"Anything," I promised, sitting on the edge of the seat, ready to go get him anything he needed or do anything he wanted. I owed it to the poor guy. I had never met such a supportive father in my life and I couldn't be more proud to be his daughter.

"Stay out of trouble for the next twelve hours, okay?"

This surprised me. I was expecting him to ask me to get something for him, not something as simple as that. "You sure that's all you need?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Okay, I'll be good," I promised, raising my eyebrows as he sat there relaxed. How lame.

"Good girl," he smiled a little and the peaceful feeling returned to his face as I watched his mind close up for a deep sleep. Boy did he need a good rest after what we had just been through.

"Hey Phil, we need to go work on those hovercrafts," Barry said softly to Phil, who eyed me.

"I don't know, man. Can we trust the little brat to stay out of trouble?" he smirked at me, winking at me to make sure I knew he was teasing me. I just rolled my eyes and made the motion of him squawking with my hand.

"What's that bird-like squawking noise? Oh, wait. Is that you, Phil? I didn't know puberty could be undone," I snickered, getting off the couch to go into the kitchen, where the two troublemakers stood next to each other.

"Excuse me?" Phil's eyes got extremely wide, watching me as I got into the fridge and pulled out some milk.

"Dude, she's feisty," Barry chortled, bending over and laughing into his fist, trying not to disturb my father in his sleep. I couldn't help but smile a little at Phil's expression. He was just way too fun to bother.

"Tell me something I don't know," Phil grumbled. "I wonder where she gets that from. I've never really seen Brent be quite that vicious before."

"Seems like her brother is the same way, judging by the way he attacked his sister," Barry pursed his lips, taking a sip of his drink.

"Brenda wasn't that way at all, was she?" Phil asked Barry through his cup.

"I think it's from Brent, personally," Barry shrugged.

"Doubt it," Phil shook his head and folded his arms stubbornly.

As they bickered about where I got what characteristic from, I took my glass of milk and some cookies up to my room, ready to chill from my long day of hardly any sleep mixed with some serious action. I couldn't even believe my own brother had turned on me like that, and to be honest it kind of hurt. Like a lot.