"It was implied," she insisted, grasping at anything and everything she could to keep her charade going.

"Okay," Dave finally had enough and started pulling Liz toward the hallway that led to the garage, "Time to go."

For once in her life, Liz obeyed. She followed him without so much as a dragged step knowing that she didn't yet have full story in front of her and until she did, she would stand firm beside him.

"No!" Calliope screamed after them, ripping her arm away from Taylor so violently that she stumbled backward. "Just remember that I can ruin you, Davey. You're the one that told me reputation is everything in this business."

To Dave's credit and Liz's relief, he ignored her completely, winding his arm around his wife for good measure before they ducked into the dark garage. Just before Liz shut the door behind them, she heard Taylor's voice echoing down the hallway.

"It's either an Uber at the bottom of the hill or I call the fucking cops. Pick one, Princess."

*

It was almost comically difficult for him to drive with one hand, but he wouldn't let her go. And Liz allowed him to cling to her, knowing he needed something to ground himself. The worryingly frantic pace of his heartbeat was still vibrating against her palm and it scared her. His silence scared her. The way his jaw clenched and his eyebrow twitched, she wasn't sure he could take much more before a complete meltdown ensued. So she sat quietly and waited for his cues.

It wasn't until they were at their gate that she decided the most unnerving thing was the silence. Dave never drove without music. Ever. It was just one of those things he needed, as if the car wouldn't kick into gear if the radio wasn't on. But now it was silent. It was on, Liz could see the name of The Zombies song scrolling across the little screen, but the volume was muted. And finally, just as the gate was open enough to allow the truck by, he was the one to speak.

"Call Sophie."

She stole another worried glance at him, "What? Why?"

He sucked in a deep breath and let it out with a tense blow. "Cal's going to release the photos."

Liz went into autopilot, shakily pulling her phone from her pocket and making the right combination of swiping, scrolling and tapping that would connect her with her manager. Her mind buzzed through all the different ways those photos would ruin her career, embarrass Dave and her family and-

"He-... hello?" Sophie's groggy voice surprised her and she winced when the clock on the dash confirmed it was still an ungodly early hour.

"Sophie, hey. I'm so sorry to call this early, but-"

"Elizabeth?" she sounded alert now, more worried. "Is everything all right?"

Liz waited through the rustle of fabric on Sophie's end and winced when she heard a deeper, sleepier voice in the background. Of course she would be interrupting the morning after a successful date... "I um... I think the photos are going to be released soon."

There was a pause and then more rustling, faster and more urgent than before and then, "Are you at home? I'm on my way."

The call ended just as Dave parked the truck in the driveway a good distance from the house.

"Wait here until I come get you," he told her, finally releasing her hand to unbuckle his seatbelt.

She took a breath to protest, having spent enough time around Travis to know he wanted to search the house before she went in, but something told her he needed to do it. There was a determination radiating from him that made her bite her tongue and tamp down the fear rising within her.