43.)

MAMA KAREN
November 3rd

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." Mama Karen read the scripture from John‬ ‭chapter 16 verse 33‬.

"What do you think he meant by that?" She asked looking at Renae as she closed her Bible.

"Jesus?" Renae asked and Karen nodded.

"Oh, well, exactly what he said. He wanted to warn him of the things to come now that he was going to be with the Father (God). At first he wasn't worried because Jesus was with him. By the world thing, he saying we will have trouble here but in him we'll find peace. This world is pretty wicked, although we have good, there's also a lot of evil here and the only person or people we'll really find peace in, is in Jesus and God. Jesus said we'll find peace in him though because he overcame this world, he died on the cross for us. For every possible sin we could have done he died for it." Renae explained and Karen smiled.

"How do you think this fits in with you?" She asked.

"I don't know... I guess I have to learn to trust in him and stop getting so worked up about things I simply can't control."

Smiling, Karen embraced her.

"Mhm, I was told dat you had this saying something about expectations?" She inquired and Renae nodded.

"Expectations leads to disappointments."

"Why did you live by that?" She asked and Renae shrugged.

"You do know." Karen insisted.

"Things worked better for me that way. All my life I've been disappointed and let down. As I got older I just started having less hope in people or things in general. A lot of that changed when I met King... but then the thing with his ex popped up." She expressed.

"And it put you back in that dark place?" Karen asked and she nodded.

"I was wrong for how I reacted huh?" She asked and Karen smiled softly and nodded.

"But that's normal dear, I would have acted the same way. Not in front of the girl because that's what she wanted, but in private? Oh yeah most definitely, pans would've been thrown and all." Karen answered and they shared a laugh.

"Have you tried to apologize to him though?" She asked.

"No... I wanted to a few days ago but I think he went back to New Orleans."

Karen had the same look Dajon had and Renae couldn't figure out why.

"What do you know?" She quizzed and Karen laughed softly.

"Nothing love, are you hungry?" She asked standing.

"My aunt actually made me eat some roast and potatoes before I got here."

"Mm, well it's twelve in the afternoon, want a snack?" She asked.

"I wouldn't mind it." Renae answered getting off the bed.

"You just stay in here, my hands work." She spoke and Renae laughed.

"Alright, I'll go head and get Criminal Minds set up."

"You do that, I'll be back and take your shoes off!" She called before disappearing around the corner.

Unlacing her sneakers, Renae put her Nikes to the side and got comfortable on Karen's bed.

Once her head hit the soft pillow Renae fought to keep her eyes open.

She's been with Dajon every single day ever since they got the news of him doing better and his body finally accepting the meds.