They had a stare off.

"...I think this is the part where I scold you...?" Hohenheim said out-loud, hesitation belonging to an amateur parent (or any bloke with zero socializing skills). Eren didn't even bother to look at his saviour as his small body rolled off his father's lap and rolled away.

 Eren didn't even bother to look at his saviour as his small body rolled off his father's lap and rolled away

"..."

Hohenheim wondered if all fathers felt this confused.

Or that other incident...

"Dear! Come to the kitchen!" Hohenheim heard Trisha calling from downstairs. He reluctantly put down his pen, tidying his alchemy notes.

"It's Eren's first time eating broccoli, we need to be here!" Trisha said excitedly when Hohenheim entered the kitchen. Hohenheim eyed the green mush.

"Broccoli," he repeated. So this was another one of those moments where Trisha wanted them to experience all of Eren's first moments, apparently eating broccoli is also considered a "first."

Eren looked just as excited as he felt. The baby eyed the mush with hesitance which is an abnormal response from the usually confident baby.

"Open up~!" Trisha sang as the spoon slowly descended towards the baby's mouth. Suddenly Eren's eyes grew impossibly huge, tears threatening to fall.

Both parents were shocked at the amount of time Eren cried in his short life (4 months old) could be counted on one hand. And this moment threatened to raise the ring finger.

"...Y-You do it, Dear!" Suddenly a wooden bowl of mushed brocolli was pushed into Hohenheim's hands. Hohenheim's suddenly slow brain betrayed him as Trisha retreated to the end of the table before he could protest.

Eren looked pleased for a moment before inverting back to his blank state.

That day ended with Hohenheim wiping green bits off his growing beard with Trisha giggling hysterically in the background and Eren playing with his block toys with his standard blank expression.

Hohenheim still swears to this day that his son did that on purpose.

Eren was currently 6 months old and already able to walk (a bit wobbly). Hohenheim had high suspicions that Eren could talk as well, but the baby was always quiet by nature. He looked down to see Eren staring at him with unblinking emerald eyes.

Hohenheim stared back. He slowly lifted his hands behind his ears, doing jazz hands while his face did an impression of a monkey.

The baby's blank expression didn't change into laughter like Hohenheim hoped, instead Eren glanced to the side and let out a tired sigh.

Hohenheim had a feeling that the baby was not impressed.

Parenthood is going to be tough.

1895. Eren Elric's Age: 4 years old.