"When can I leave?" I ask her since she seems to be the doctor. She shifts slightly while looking at my files. She finally clears her throat looking back up at me.

"Well medically you can be discharged by tomorrow afternoon." Her tone has me thinking there is an exception to this. "Although you can't leave pack territory until speaking with our Alpha." I knew it. My eyebrows knit in confusion, and I turn towards Alex.

"You're not the Alpha?" I assumed with the amount of power his wolf gives off alone. Emeric throws his head back in laughter.

"Alex 'the Alpha' good one!" Emeric's laughter is cut short when Alex punches him in the arm.  Alex walks closer to my bed.

"No, I'm the Beta. Our Alpha is away on business at the moment but will be back in three days. You both can discus what happened, then decide what steps to take next." Ryder scoffs from the corner drawing all of our attention to him.

"Why don't you just tell her all of our pack secrets while you're at it. For all we know she's a fucking spy, and all you three are doing is making her job that much easier." I cut him off before he can continue on with his rant.

"For the last time you dumb-ass I'm not here to bring your pack any harm. It was just the closest pack when I needed help, okay? I've been a rogue for eight years, so if I wanted to do harm to anyone I would have done it by now." I'm breathing heavy having used a lot of my energy to yell at this ass.

"How old are you?" Violet whispers after sitting in a chair next to my bed. I can tell she is genuinely curious, and not just wanting info on me.

"Twenty-three." I whisper

"You've been a rogue since you were 15!?" Emeric's wide eyes prove to me that he has been sheltered most of his life. Alex almost looks troubled by this information, and Ryder doesn't look any different.

"Why are you a rogue?" Alex asks

"That's none of your business. All you need to know is I'm not in your pack to hurt anyone. I will gladly be on my way once I meet with your Alpha."

"Well did you try joining another pack?" Emeric is a very curious wolf.

"No. My old Alpha made sure I wouldn't be able to. After so many years you get use to being on your own." I look down at my hands. I hate telling people even just a sliver of my story, but for some reason I feel as if I need to with them.

"Well you need rest. Boys, out now." She points to the door signaling them to leave. Ryder gives me a look that lets me now that this isn't over. Emeric just gives me a salute before following behind Ryder. Alex walks over to Violet pulling her into a hug, he whispers something into her ear which causes her to smile. He finishes off with a kiss to her temple and an I love you.

Once the door is shut Violet turns back to me.

"You need to eat something before getting some rest, but I figured you'd want to eat without getting asked a million more questions." I nod with a slight smile.

"Is Alex your mate?" Even though I know the answer to my own question I still want a confirmation.

"Yes. Was it that obvious?" She chuckles.

"I think it's cute, and to be fair I don't find most things cute."

"You'll find your mate one day don't worry." I flinch, but thankfully she doesn't notice. "I'm going to go grab you some food. Try not to get into too much trouble while I'm gone." She winks before shutting the door behind her.

Mate. It's scary yet exciting. You're told from a young age that the bond you have with your mate is like no other. It's true though I have seen some of the most terrible people melt once they lay eyes on their mate. It's terrifying the control it has on you.

They say the Moon Goddess picks the person that was meant for you to be your mate. I believe she picks the person who complements your personality the most. That still allows horrible people to have mates. It just means they have an equally horrible person to be their forever.

If you would have asked me when I was a kid whom I thought my mate was I would have said a kind-eyed prince. Now, knowing he was a ruthless rogue warrior makes me second guess all I was told as a child. They told me he had killed hundreds before his death. Even knowing how despicable he was doesn't help the debilitating pain that followed his death.

That was the night I left. The night my parents stumbled home bloody and bruised after a call came in about a group of rogues on our border. The same night I awoke with a burning pain in my chest. I knew by the look in their eyes something terrible had happened. My mother had tears streaming down her face as my father told me they had found my mate. The only problem was he had been killed.

High-ranked wolves can identify their children's mates. In school they told us it had something to do with the bond parents have with their children.

I laid in bed that night after the doctor came and said there was nothing he could do for me. I laid there wheezing as the scorching pain spread throughout my body. It wasn't until the early hours of the morning had I realized I needed to leave. I stumbled around my room packing only essentials into a backpack. I winced as I tip-toed down our stairs and out the front door. I ran and I never looked back.

*******
Song: War of Hearts by Ruelle

I hope you enjoyed chapter 2! I would love to hear your opinions on the characters so far. I also would like to mention that the songs at the beginning of each chapter sometimes won't necessarily fit the chapter, but instead the book as a whole. Don't forget to vote if you like it. Until next time.

~Stella Gordon