Perhaps he'd tell her again that he was sorry; that he had been this day preparing his men for the war he could not stop. Perhaps he would tell her that Panos had been executed before the council and that she was to suffer the same fate. In some imaginings he told her nothing at all; he only pulled her into his arms and promised her she was the only light his soul had ever known.

No knock upon her door came.

Each night she waited, trembling before at last drifting off into thin, reluctant sleep. Cold dark dreams of Panos; stubborn and angry in his mountain prison. Colder, darker dreams of Valdr, walking with endless fury through the rooms of Prissia, his mind hot and twisted with vengeance.

***

On the third day, she learned that Iaria was to be sent from Teredia. 

She'd been about to enter the kitchen when she heard his voice within. Mor's too, tight with chastisement. Not wanting to interrupt, and keenly aware that he would have no wish to see her, she hovered just outside the doorway and listened. The sound of his voice welcome and oddly comforting even in its distance.

'But you cannot mean to keep them both here, surely?' Mor asked. 'The gossip would reach Lagraport, Theodan, I cannot have it!'

'It will not be you they are gossiping about, Mor,' said Theodan, unconcerned.

'It makes no difference Theo! You know it does not! For 'tis Teredia's name they will slander.'

'Teredia's name has long been slandered, Mor, as well you are aware.'

'Well, then, perhaps you should do what your father did not, and show some respect to this house and to the females you bring unto it?'

Fara swallowed the small gasp of shock that rose her throat.  She had never heard Mor speak to him so, and she could not imagine how he might respond. A terrible silence followed where she could only imagine the look in his eyes. She almost feared for Mor. 

'What I should do that my father did not, Mor, is reign in the audacity of my household when it comes to matters which do not concern them? Perhaps then I will be recognised as lord and master of this house?'

Fara thought his response surprisingly measured.

'The lord and master of any house would not have a Princess of the blood - entrusted to his honourable charge - and his Asallan female residing under the same roof, Theodan.' She tutted, unperturbed.

She thought she heard him sigh again. 'She is not my Asallan female.'

'Then she should return to her house! Or, if you cannot bear part with her, then the princess should be given a more appropriate wardship  - tis only right.'

'Fara shall remain under this roof, Mor,' he growled impatiently.

'Then, you know what must be done.'

And it had been done. 

Shortly after dawn on the fourth day, a land rider had taken Iaria from Teredia back to her beloved Asalla. Iaria, who had for all of Ethis, looked like a newly preened rose: the barbarous Zybar marks on her body gone, her a hair a thick curtain of bright gold, her movements graceful and fluid as she swept across Fara's chamber to hug her goodbye. It was a miraculous recovery. Especially as Jhaan had still not awoken fully enough to converse at all.

Though she looked an image of beauty and unmistakable health, it did not prevent some sadness from creeping into Iaria's eyes as she bid Fara farewell. Neither did it make it easier to for Fara to hold her gaze. She felt guilty about the departure, for surely if it were not for her then Theodan would have asked Iaria to remain with him?  Something Iaria had herself hoped for.