Dari Cross part four

I wake suddenly. Deep brown eyes watch me stir. Logan's eyes. He's bent over me, close enough to feel his warmth. To smell his unique earthy smell. I catch my breath. The sunlight pours over him in a way that makes pieces of his hair turn gold. His strong jaws perfectly angled, his muscles strong and perfectly shaped. He was something else. I was loss for words. "Its time to go," he says in his rusty voice.

I nod and stand, all the while watching him back torward his already packed bag. I couldn't help it, he was gorgeous. I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. I shake my head again. Snap out of it Dari. You need to focus. We get breakfast next door and head off down the road. Many minutes pass. He turns and looks at me with his warm eyes. "Your name is Lisa Chandler," he hands me a car license with a picture of me except with glasses.

I once wore glasses for a month during the summer. Its not that I need them it was just a phase of mine. "Where did you find this?" I ask.

"From a photo box in your room," he says quietly.

"What!? You went through my stuff?" I demand.

"Never leave a place without everything you need, you may not have a chance to go back,"

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"In the long run we needed this picture. Now. Put on these," he says handing me the same pare of glasses from the photo.

He pauses before saying, "if anyone asks, your a friend of mine and I'm driving you home,"

I nod, not even sure what he said exactly. If he went through my stuff then how and why was he at my house at that specific time? How did he know to be there and was he really there to save me? Plus I don't remember him answering the question directly. He was hiding something. I knew it. I turn and stare at him. "Why did you find me first?"

"Seven is my lucky number,"

"Tell me how you found me excatly and were you really at my house to save me? Don't even think about avoiding the question,"

There was a long pause, "Does it really matter?"

"Yes!" I exclaim.

He looks over at me slowly, "Sometimes the truth is worse than ignorance,"

"So? If your not truthful then," I pause pulling in life substaing air, "then how do I know how to trust you?"

"Dari. Are you sure you want to know?"

"I need to know," I say quietly.

And so he began.

"I did come to save you. This is true, but I also came for something else. On the list there are eight of us. I found and original copy on a computer-"

"Did you hack into a computer?" I ask, cutting him off.

"Yes. That's how I found out that a secret society of the government known as N.O.V.A. I don't remember what it stands for so try not to ask. Anyway N.O.V.A. has somehow messed with our D.N.A. They did something to us that made us have inhuman abilities and this also made us connected. They surgically added the mark, but the thing only appears when we're near one of the eight. I found that they had shut down the program and were going to cut off lose ends. I went to your name first because I wanted to find your dad,"

My palms change to fists. My dad. Why was Logan looking for him? "Your father is the key to understanding us. He was who I was looking for, because he knew how to cure us,"

"My dad left when I was seven. Why would you come looking for him there?"

"I needed to start somewhere so I went to you. I knew they were going to destroy anything to do with the agency and your dad came up as the number one target,"

I nod, understanding. I then think of what he said about curing us. "Why do you want to be cured? Don't our abilities enhance us? Why destroy something so unique?"

"Because my ability alowed me to live and watch my faimly die right in front of me,"

The thick tenseness could be cut with a knife. "I'm so sorry," I say, knowing exactly how it felt to lose someone close to you.

I know this doesn't help, but at least he knew that I cared. The drive through the winding old mountain road seemed forever. I watched the Aspens sway in the faint breeze, really seeming to fly by because of the truck's velocity. Minutes turned into hours on the never ending road. I held onto my tears as heartache screamed from within. My mother was gone and nothing could change that. I couldn't share my feelings with her. I couldn't watch sappy love stories with her. I didn't even have a chance to say good by. She was taken away from me. Why wasn't I there faster to protect her? She wasn't apart of this mess, she didn't have anything to do with me. She wasn't the seventeen year old girl who turned out to have special abilities. She wasn't some freak.

I stare off, trying to see above the trees and into the clouds. The sky, baby blue with wisps of white, swirling like paint. The trees yellow with shades of orange, flickering sunlight through small openings in their leaves. Even in this beauty, death lingered in the shadows. Life was never far in front of death in this global, no universal race to the finish. What was our purpose here on this earth. Why are we different from normal people? The N.O.V.A. agency messed with our Dna, but why were we put to the task of ourselves? Some say that it is fate. I say its just how things work in the universe.

The blue sky slowly fades into hazy splashes of pink and purple. I faintly see the yellows and oranges through the trees. The dyeing sun winks and disappears behind the horizon. Light fades into layers of violet or deep ocean blue, finally blackening as the first stars appear. Logan drives long into the night, finally finding a motel. He gets a room and I collapse on the bed, exhausted.

Thanks for reading! Hope you guys like it! I will go ahead and apologies for any grammar or spelling mistakes in advance. Eventually I will try to go back and edit the story, I also may try to lengthen the "parts" a little so they aren't so short (so I might be able to call them chapters)