An Unexpected Reaction

Guru's sixty-fifth birthday was fast approaching. (At least I hope it was the sixty-fifth, as I'm notoriously bad with numbers. Please, forgive me if it was a different one.) And Guru – who was sitting on a simple white folding chair close to his little hut, facing the main-gate side of the tennis court – had asked for new ideas how to celebrate the occasion.

But in case you think sumptuous food or other ways to indulge, you obviously don't know our Guru. (Even though he did spoil us with delicious prasad when the day arrived.)

But for himself... No.

In accordance with his philosophy, Guru simply wanted us to inspire him to transcend his previous achievements by doing things sixty-five times. Like lifting a certain weight, walking or running sixty-five miles, composing sixty-five songs... that kind of thing. Only, those were obvious choices and Guru was eager to try something new.

Everybody who had an idea and wanted to share it was invited to come down from the bleachers, get in line and wait their turn in front of the microphone that had hastily been placed close to and in front of Guru.

Some people were quite inventive when it came to that sort of thing. But I, unfortunately, was not one of them. And in those cases when Guru asked for ideas, my mind would go especially blank.

But...

Guru had asked for ideas.

And since I wanted to please him and give him joy, I wracked my brain for a brilliant idea.

Well, any idea, really.

But once my mind is blank and calm, it usually stays that way. At least for some time.

And no matter how active it normally is, how much it normally resists becoming calm and quiet, as soon as Guru asked us for questions or suggestions, it simply surrendered. When it really shouldn't have!

Exasperated and a bit annoyed with that uncooperative brain of mine, I decided to ignore it and to join the line, anyway.

Maybe a brilliant idea would strike me as soon as I came closer to Guru.

Nope.

If possible, my mind became even calmer.

Which, on any other day, would have been exactly what I would have hoped for. But unfortunately (or fortunately!) that day was not any other day. 

I listened to the suggestions of the people before me in the fast dwindling line. Some of them were really creative and Guru nodded his approval smilingly. What a shame that I did not belong to that group!

At one point, I had a very stupid idea: to ask Guru for sixty-five more years with us on earth.

I immediately discarded the thought, knowing perfectly well that Guru was asking for serious suggestions. And that having to remain here in this still rather undeveloped earth-atmosphere for another sixty-five years would be the last thing he would want. But if worst came to the worst and no other idea to my mind...

When there were only two people left before me, my mind reached new heights of calmness. Which was blissfull and disconcerting at the same time, since I still did not know what to suggest. But then again, standing on the very familiar clay-ground of the tennis court so close to Guru, with the perfect view and being inundated with his intense vibration, I found it hard to care.

As I stood there gazing at my Master a subtle, but peaceful feeling of surrender settled within me. Yes, I didn't have any brilliant idea to offer, but I was trying to do what Guru had asked.

My heart opened at the thought.

All of a sudden, something like an energy-wave emanated from Guru and touched my heart, which immediately responded by swifly expanding into all directions. The blissful feeling that came with the sensation encompassed my entire being within a matter of moments, before it spread out wide beyond the boundaries of my physical frame.

Wow, I thought, amazed. Guru's energy is really powerful!

I don't know whether it was due to my thought or the energy flowing from him towards me, but suddenly Guru turned his head to look at me with his luminous eyes and a big smile. At that moment, I was absolutely aware that Guru was completely conscious of what was happening to me.

Because I could feel it.

I could feel the energetic connection.

Happily basking in Guru's blessingful attention, I almost forgot the reason why I was standing there. But then the movement of the girl in front of me leaving reminded me. And I still did not have anything to offer, really.

"Uhm... Guru, you could stay on earth for another sixty-five years..." I did feel a bit stupid.

But only a bit, since Guru was flooding me with his love.

"Oh, no, no, no!" Guru exclaimed laughing, dismissing me with a wave of his hand.

I floated away.

So this is the kind of blessing you get when you try to please Guru, I thought, while climbing up the stairs towards my seat in the bleachers.

Hi Everybody!

For those not familiar with a spiritual path, the idea of trying to please one's Guru might appear strange in this world that is so focused on everybody being able to please themselves at every moment. In this light, following a Guru might seem bit fanatic, even. 

But I'd known for quite some time what I wanted from my life, when I joined the path. And in the beginning, I watched very closely what Guru was saying and doing. And I repeatedly questioned my decision to lead that kind of life. 

Until I was finally satisfied that Guru was (and is) genuine and whatever he advised me to do was truly for my own benefit. And in the almost thirty years that I've been following my spiritual path, I've never been disappointed. (Although I do not claim that the journey has always been easy. The road to self-perfection is naturally fraught with challenges of all sorts. Otherwise, we would have lots of realized people running around on this earth...)

With these thoughts in mind, I hope you can enjoy my little stories!

And I thank each and every one of you, who are still reading :)