The Right Place To Be

"Guru is coming to Austria!" Eva announced excitedly one Wednesday evening after our usual Centre meditation, from her perch of cushions left to the shrine

"Guru is coming to Austria!" Eva announced excitedly one Wednesday evening after our usual Centre meditation, from her perch of cushions left to the shrine. For better communication, she had turned towards the rest of us disciples. We were all siting on the soft, white carpeted floor on top of varying numbers of pillows, facing the tastefully decorated shrine at the far side of the small room.

"Really?"

"Wow!"

"Great!"

"When?"

"Why?"

Her information was greeted with reactions ranging from enthusiasm to astonishment, happiness and disbelief, all of which Eva watched with a happy smile on her lips.

"In about a month. It says here on the fax." She briefly raised her hand clutching a piece of pater, before continuing to relay its content.

"It seems that he will be giving a small concert, as well as a lecture, in Vienna. And we can already sign up, as they would like to know how many people to expect."

Immediately, everybody in the room murmured, shouted or stated - depending on the temperament of the person – his or her intent to go. But we quickly agreed to talk about the details once we had taken prasad and moved to the adjacent room.

A few weeks later, the eagerly awaited event had finally transformed from a chimerical mist somewhere in the distant or near future, into a very real occurrence in the here and now.

The 'here' being the Vienna airport and the 'now' the early afternoon.

As Graz is only about a two and a half hours' drive from Vienna, our two cars carrying a total of nine people had reached its destination well ahead of Guru's scheduled arrival.

Which seemed like a brilliant idea, since there was almost no-one else around and I was looking forward to being one of the few greeting our Master and maybe even have the opportunity for some personal interaction with him.

The closer it got to Guru's estimated time of arrival, however, the more and more crowded it got.

Reluctantly banishing the thought of being able to get close to him, I concentrated exclusively on defending my pole position at the railings separating the arriving travelers from the people welcoming them.

Of course, nobody was viciously trying to push me aside, but people were restless. The excitement in the air was palpable, as it is not everyday that you meet your very own, genuine spiritual master. On top of it, every body was greeting and hugging friends that continued to arrive.

All in all, the crowed was constantly moving. In the limited space, this resulted in everybody jostling everybody else on their way to various destinations. For instance, to their car - as somebody suddenly realized that they had forgotten something vitally important in their vehicle (like sunglasses - don't ask) - or to a vending machine (to prevent spontaneous death from thirst and hunger) or... to the bathroom.