“Hurdles,” I answered. “Do you keep up with the Olympics?”

“I watched the entire Opening Ceremonies last night. That was crazy what they did with the Queen, don’t you think?”

I nodded. “I couldn’t believe that the Queen of England jumped out of an airplane. We were all cracking up.”

“I’ve seen you before,” he said.

“I’ve been on a few commercials.”

“Have you been on one for Subway?”

I nodded. “I promoted their Avocado I think.”

“Yeah, I saw you in that. That’s so cool.”

“Thanks.”

“I’ve never had anyone noteworthy ride in my taxi before. What’s your name?”

“Mason Walker.”

We pulled up to the hotel. “Well I’ll be watching for you.”

I paid him. “Keep the change.”

“Thank you,” he called, as I hurried inside.

“Room number for Emma Walker,” I said, bouncing on my heels.

“Sorry, we can’t give out that information,” the lady behind the desk said, in a bored tone.

I showed her my ID. “I’m Mason Walker, her son. Call her room if you don’t believe me.”

She placed the phone call while I nervously bounced up and down, waiting for my mom to confirm I was her son.

“Room 112,” she said, handing me a room key.

“Thank you.”

I took the stairs, two at a time, and burst into her room.

“Hey honey,” mom said, wrapping her arms around me. She held me for what seemed like hours. “How’re you doing? What’re you doing here?”

I kissed her cheek. “Came to see you guys. What room is Carson in?”

“Room 117.”

“Thanks.”

I hurried down the hall and banged on his door. I knew he wouldn’t be awake yet, so I hit the door as hard as I could.

“What the hell?” Carson demanded, opening the door. His hair was disheveled and he was shirtless and in a pair of pajama pants. “What are you doing?”

“I came to talk to you.”

“At 8:30 in the morning?”

“It’s important.”

He groaned and opened the door, letting out a yawn.

“Do you have the room to yourself?” I asked, stepping into his tiny kitchen. I pulled a box of crackers out of the pantry and some spray cheese.

“Yeah.”

I sprayed some cheese on a cracker and popped it into my mouth. “Good.”

Carson called in for room service, ordering me chocolate chip pancakes and himself a bagel.

“So what’s so important?” Carson asked, taking the cracker I offered him.

“Wake up first,” I said, as I made some coffee. “Want some?”

“Yeah.”

“When did you guys come in?”

“Yesterday, we were at the ceremonies last night.”