Chapter 1- A glimpse

I watched her from a distance, the way she shook her long, dark wavy hair, compelled me to go talk to her,but my feet felt as if they were glued to the very floor that I stood on. She didn't even acknowledge that I was near, she could hardly see past the wall of guys that had formed around her. They watched her every move, just as I did.

Well I guess that I must look rather ridiculous, with my mouth open and my eyes wide. I thought she would have gone for me straight off. I have the sun tanned skin, blonde hair and sapphire blue eyes. I have a tennis player's fit body because I play everyday after school. I guess that's where I got the tanned skin.

All the guys dye their hair and cut it in ridiculous ways but I feel that they're changing their personality when they do this. Nearly all the girls in the school are after me. But they're just not the right girl.

Okay first things first, her name is Vanessa; her name matches her dark wavy hair, her pale skin and her bright red lips...

"Luke! Lucas!?" a softly sharp girls voice broke into my thoughts. It was my best friend Suzanna. We've been friends since we went to kindergarten together. Everyone believes that she has a major crush on me, but I don't know whether I should believe them or not.

Suzanna is at our regular table with the rest of guys. I walked up to it and sat in the only empty chair, next to Tom. He leaned over and whispered in my ear, "She's so crushing on you."

I punched him in the arm and mouthed "Shut Up" to him. Suzanna just kept staring at me. She did have really pretty eyes. Wake up, I told myself. I don't like Suzanna in that kind of way. But I think I agree with Tom and everyone else. When she noticed me looking, she blushed crimson in colour and hid behind her burger.

"You were staring into space." She mumbled. I looked at her, trying to remember what she was telling me.

"Oh yeah, you were telling me that you got 100% on your English test, again. And you're reading Romeo and Juliet. He kills himself for his girlfriend right? That's a little bit sweet." I smiled at her, but she clearly took it the wrong way.

"I just wish that I had a boyfriend who would kill himself for me." She smiled and seemed to stare of into space. I wish she didn't like me the way she does, because I don't want to break her heart. But there just seemed to be a magnet that made me want to look at Vanessa. I just couldn't help it. I gave up attempting conversation with Suzanna and let my gaze return to Vanessa. But this time she shocked me. She was looking at me, as if she heard everything I had just thought about her. When she seen me looking she gave me a smile that pushed my heart into the clouds.

Her smile gave me the need to stand up; it made me want to go talk to her. And I didn't think twice. Not even the thought of Suzanna's eyes burning into my back. But I didn't have a care in the world. This was my chance. I smiled back at Vanessa and I stood up. I walked all the way over to her, I never stopped.

I am going to talk to her, and she didn't stop me from walking over to her. She just kept smiling at me.

"Hi", she said to me. I smiled at her. And I said the first thing that came to mind.

"Would you like me to walk you to your next class?" I knew it was a long shot but I had to ask. And yet what surprised me was her answer.

"Sure, I'd really like that"

I knew my mouth was hanging open so I quickly closed it and allowed her take my arm. I led straight past our table. I saw Suzanna even though I didn't really want to; because I could see her body shake with the hidden tears that I knew were there. Suzanna looked up at me and I mouthed a sorry to her, but the look on her face, it showed me that she didn't care. I tried not to think that this was breaking her heart. But I didn't have to heart just to love them both.