Chapter 6- Awakening

I was dreaming of Suzanna, of holding her close to me, of kissing every part of her that i could reach. Then her brown hair became dark and wavy. And her face paled from its usual healthy tan. But this pale was beautiful. It took me a moment to realise that i was kissing Vanessa. My body lost all control. I started kissing her more fiercely and holding her tightly. I was kissing Vanessa. I knew that this was a dream, because this couldn't possibly be real.

Vanessa slide easily from my grasp and smiled sweetly. I realised then that she wore a long white dress that sheathed her body perfectly, and a silver halo sat atop her black hair. But that didn’t shock me. What shocked me was when I tried to grasp her shoulders to pull her back down to me, my hands hit something soft and feathery. Wings?

She was a perfect image of an Angel. Vanessa climbed out of my bead and walked slowly to my open window. I didn’t expect her to do what she was about to do. She sat on my window ledge and slid her legs out the window. Using her arms to support herself, she quickly slipped the rest of herself out the window. 

‘Vanessa!’ I screamed as I raced to the window. I looked out the window at the ground, expecting to see her bloodied and broken on my lawn. She looked up and laughed a soundless laugh. She simply glowed as she laughed. Moonlight shined all around her and she seemed to consume it.

She spoke only one word to me, ‘Angel.’

I awoke with a start. I can remember holding Suzanna in my bed. But after she turned into a winged version of Vanessa the dream became fuzzy. I can’t even remember what she said as I started to wake up. I can remember liking the way she kissed me though. I loved her and she knew it.

I searched for her when I went to school the next morning and for once I actually found her.

‘You’re something beautiful and unique. But I can’t seem to remember what it is. All I know is that you are something I never would have believed existed.’ This came out in a bit of a blur, but she seemed to understand what I had told her. Vanessa smiled up at me and I had a feeling that even Suzanna couldn’t make me feel; like I was flying amongst the clouds.

‘I dreamt of you last night.’ I told her, smiling. She smiled back, her eyes glowing.

‘Did you now? And what exactly were we doing?’ she asked with fake concern shining in her blue eyes.

‘Well it’s not exactly G rated! So you might want to block your ears.’ Vanessa closed her eyes and blocked her ears. I laughed.

My laughter stopped when I turned to see Suzanna watching us. I was about to say her name when she turned and ran, she actually ran away from me.

I wanted to follow her but Vanessa stopped me with a surprisingly firm grip on my arm. I looked at her again, but on my face was real concern. Right now i didn’t know if i needed Suzanna or Vanessa.

‘Let her calm down first. It’s not like we were kissing or anything, right? She asked me, and we both laughed. It was so easy with Vanessa. It’s like she was the air that I breathed in. I could speak my mind when she was with me. Even if she didn’t trust me.

‘You’ve taken the first step, Lucas.’ She said.

‘What?’

‘You’ve started to understand my secret and soon you will find out. I’m sure you will realise what it is soon enough,’ she looked at me and smiled, ‘I think you can go now.’

I did what she said.