Chapter Eleven

Beginne am Anfang

I wave my hand once I've let Lexie go, completely sealing our bedroom. I sit on the edge of the bed, grab her hand, and now that I'm alone, I let my emotions go. When my tears haven't stopped twenty minutes later, I decide to begin healing my wife. I wipe at my cheeks as I position my hands over her body, starting at her bare feet. I close my eyes, and begin healing her. When I get to her midsection, it feels as if my magic is blocked. I open my eyes, put my hands against her burnt skin, and chant out loud the healing spell.

It still doesn't work. "What the fuck?" I say to myself. I try again, but nothing. I lift my hand from her, and look at her face. "What did you do to yourself?" I ask her as I continue to cry.

I look back to her stomach, not understanding. I put my hand on her left forearm, and heal her lower arm. The spell still works, so I move back to her stomach, but I can't do anything. I have no idea what to make of it, so I decide to come back and move on to continue healing the rest of her body. When everything but her midsection is healed, I pull the sheet up to cover her.

Your Uncle Eric would like to come into your room, Keegan tells me.

My eyebrows crease, but I wave my hand, taking the seal down for a second. As much as I want to be alone right now, I don't want to keep Lexie's parents from her. They have every right to be here, just like me. Uncle Eric and Aunt Abby love Lexie with everything they have. They are wonderful parents to her, and support her just like I do. It wouldn't be right of me to keep her to myself during this time. When she wakes up though, I will be showing her just how proud I am of her.

"Uncle Eric," I greet coldly when he's in the room completely. I'm not trying to be rude to him, I just don't have it in me right now to be pleasant.

My father in law waves his hand, resealing the room. "Please stop calling me Uncle, Sir," he replies as he dips his head. As he lifts it, he continues, "I'm more than just an Uncle to you, Valerio."

I chuckle a grunt humorlessly at him, and ask, "Am I supposed to call you Dad too?"

He laughs as he comes to stand beside me, and then he claps my back when he's next to me. "If you want," he replies in a serious tone. "But if you don't, just call your Aunt and I by our names."

I shake my head at him, and look back down to Lexie. Eric clears his throat, and says quietly, "Aemilia said you wouldn't be able to heal part of her." I snap my head to look at him, and he says, "I won't tell you why you can't, because Lexie wouldn't want me to," he looks at me and smiles sadly, "but I can heal it."

What did Lexie do to herself?

I kiss the back of Lexie's hand, already regretting leaving her. I have to address the pack though, and I can't let her temporary sacrifice slow any progress on finding The Warlock. She would make a nice fur rug out of me if I let this slow us down.

The sun is just coming up as I make my way into the living room. It's only been seven hours since we came home, but with everything that happened, no one is asleep.

As soon as the pack is in the room, I look to Eric, and ask, "What have you been able to find on The Warlock or Zombie?"

He shakes his head at me. "Absolutely nothing." He shrugs. "It's as if they don't exists."

"A powerful dark warlock doesn't just appear," I tell him, "keep digging." I turn to Mom. "Have you looked into black magic?" I ask a little scared.