Chapter 17

Erik was determined more than ever to get his family back. He was going to do whatever he had to get Roxanne back. He’d go where ever he had to get Roxanne back. He wasn’t going to let her walk away this time. He was going to fight for her. He needed her more than he needed air. He had to find her, and get her to see reason. He honestly didn’t know what to say that could make things right. He didn’t know why Zoey kissed him, he thought she was happy with Stark. Nothing made sense anymore.

*Roxanne*

Iplowed through the halls on a mission. I was unsure of how well my plan would work, but it couldn't be any worse than the alternative. I took a deep cleansing breathe and prayed to God for strength, and to Nyx for guidance. I turned the door handle with my game face on. “We need to talk now!” I yelled seeing Beverley in Neferet’s office.

“And what is it you wish to talk about?” Neferet asked.

“It’s private,” I said looking between her and Beverley.

“I was just on my way out,” she said and left us alone.

Neferet walked behind her desk and she reminded me of Charlize Thornton in that resent version of Snow White Kristen Stewart ruined. She had gained more power somehow and I could feel it. That scared the crap out of me. “What is it you wish to speak to me about?” she smiled from behind her desk.

“You know about Erik and I,” I said and she smiled.

“The whole world knows now,” she said.

“Then you know I have to protect my daughter, no matter the cost,” I said and her smile deepened.

“And what is it you wish for me to do?”

“I know you’re the one that went to Zoey’s stepdad. I also know that you are still in tingled with the white bull. All I ask is that you help me protect my daughter and Erik?” I asked her hoping I didn’t sound terrified.

“And what do I get out of this little arrangement?” she asked me.

“I’ll make Zoey powerless,” I smiled.

Neferet laughed a laugh that was hauntingly dark and thick with spite. “I’ve already rendered Zoey powerless. No one trust her but her stupid little friends,” she smiled.

“And with them she still have power. I can ruin her, isolate her, make her yearn for death,” I said drawing on my hatred for Zoey. I guess I was convincing because Neferet perked up in her sit.

“You seem sure of it,” she said giving me a tissue when my eyes started to water.

“It wouldn’t even be what she deserves,” I hiccupped. “I want to wring her little neck and watch the life slowly drain from her.”

“Sounds like a great idea, but how do we make it happen?” she asked me.

“I’ll take care of everything. I just need your promision to do so.”

“You have it,” she said extending her arm to me. I grabbed her forearm and she looked me in the eye. “Don’t you dear double cross me, or I’ll kill you myself.”

“I think I hate Zoey more than you do. As long as you up hold your end of the bargin, Zoey is as good as dead, if that is what you want her.”

*Zoey*

I tried again to talk to Erik, but he wouldn’t answer his phone. Damien told us that he and Roxanne’s father were planning on taking Isis to Haiti until everything cooled down here. I felt just horrible for what I did, and I had no way to make up for it. Roxanne and Erik were AWOL and everyone else didn’t seem to understand. I felt like I had no control over my actions. Something dark took over me and made me do all of that.

I admitted to Stark that when I first saw Roxanne and Erik together I was a little jealous and as I hung out with him it felt like when I first arrived to the house of night, before everything got turned upside down. We felt connected. I walked down the hall with Stark by my side. I held his hand as everyone whispered about us or silently stared. “It’s nothing we haven’t been through before,” he said squeezing my hand.

“But this time I was only one responsible for the horrible things that happened. I ruined Erik and Roxanne’s relationship and Neferet had nothing to do with it. There’s no one to blame but me,” I confessed.

“Story of your life it seems,” Neferet said coming over to me and Stark.

“What do you want?” I hissed at her.

“I need to speak to Stark about his academics,” she smiled at him.

I looked at stark and he looked back at me before Neferet added. “I haven’t got all day young warrior.”

“I’ll be right back,” Stark said and kissed my forehead.

“How touching come on!” she yelled.

I watch them walk down the hall and turned to face the whispers and glares on my own.