Chapter 15

~Zoey~

Zoey couldn’t contain the hatred that boiled through her whenever she saw Erik and Roxanne together. She didn’t know why, but she hated Roxanne. It had nothing to do with all the information she was withholding. Hell Zoey had been in that position herself. She knew how hard it was to protect people by lying. “Are you two ever going to make up?” Stark asked as he walked behind Zoey to the rec room for the full moon ritual.

“She’s the one being difficult. I’ve tried time and time again to fix things. I just give up,” Zoey lied. She really didn’t care about the false friendship they once had. It was a lie and in the past. Her one objective was to save Erik and Isis no matter the cost. Even if she had to get rid of Roxanne to do it.

“I’m sure this thing will blow over soon enough. Neferet has been quiet too long so we can’t be vulnerable.”

“We won’t be,” Zoey said turning to look into Stark’s eyes. She kissed him for good measure. Zoey had to make sure her plan went off without a hitch. She was going to get rid of Roxanne if it took her last breath to do it.

Zoey never questioned the hatred bubbling inside of her. The yarning to take Roxanne down had quickly become second nature. Zoey could come up with seventy-five scenarios of plausible accidental death for Roxanne whenever they were in a room alone. She had let darkness into her heart and was so good at hiding it not only from everyone else, but from herself too, but secretes never stayed that way in the House of Night.

“Z, are you ready to start?” Damien asked when he noticed Zoey seating out by Nyx’s statue.

“Oh, yeah I’m ready,” Zoey said going back into the rec center. As she entered the room she noticed that Roxanne had disappeared again. Erik was talking with Lenobia in front of the crowd. They were smiling so it had to be about something good. “Hey,” Zoey smiled at them.

“Hey, you’re starting a little late aren’t you?” Lenobia smiled at Zoey.

“I guess I got a little distracted,” she nervously smiled. “I’m ready to start now. I kinda wish Roxanne were here though. The circle feels complete with her in it,” she lied.

“She had to run an errand, but I’m sure she won’t miss the next one,” Erik smiled at her. Zoey loved it when she made Erik smile, mostly because Roxanne couldn’t stand it when he agreed with her.

“We have rehearsal still?” Damien asked.

“Yep and we still need to do light blocking with Joseph and Tyler,” Erik informed him. The two of them had become really close as the play preparation got deeper. Damien was the stage manager and he was making sure all the pieces were fitting seamlessly together. Zoey liked moments like these, simple ones were she could forget that the world was going to hell, and that evil lurked around every corner waiting to devour her friends. Zoey longed for the times were biggest problem in life was whether or not to shave her legs. That was before she discovered her destiny, before she met her friends, and loss so much more.

“Come on Damien, we’re already starting late,” she said dragging Damien away.