Chapter 2: Just Let Me Do It

Alison's POV:

Riley and I walk into the apartment after class, which was boring af in case you were wondering. She starts to head back to her room but I stop her.

"Excuse me where do you think you're going?" I ask taking a seat on the couch in our living room.

"To take a nap?" She replies as if it was obvious.

"The nap can wait you don't have another class until 4," I say patting the spot next to me "come sit we have important things to discuss." Riley rolls her eyes but obliges and moves to sit next to me on the couch.

"Oh, Jesus Christ Ali I already swiped right what more do you want?" Riley jokes.

"Okay well first of all technically I swiped right not you," I say "and second It's been almost two hours has he messaged you? Have you messaged him? You need to move on it this could be your soulmate we're talking about." I said snapping my fingers to emphasize the importance of this situation.

"Alison we were in class together. And then the car together. And now we're sitting here. Together. At any point did you see me have time to take my phone out and check tinder?" Riley says sighing clearly ready to be done with me and this conversation. Well too bad for her I could talk about this all day.

"You had time to take out your phone and play three levels of candy crush so I thought maybe you would've used some of that time to try and find love but you know my bad for thinking," I respond a little irritated at Riley's lack of interest in just trying to talk to someone who seems like a good fit for her.

"Well damn," she responds raising her eyebrows "I guess you got me there. Fine, I'll check the app" she says finally taking her phone out of back pocket.

"Thank you! I really don't ask for much." I say smiling at the fact I've won this battle. I watch her phone screen so I can see for myself what's going on. I don't trust Riley to tell me the truth about whether he messaged her not, I need to see it for myself. When the screen loads a tiny red bubble is over top the chat box in the top right corner. "Riley! You have a message!" I say excitedly.

"Cool," Riley says tapping the icon. It's from the super cute guy, Jake. God, they would be so cute together.

"What did he say!" I ask way more excited than I should be. In my defense, Riley never talks to boys even though I think she's one of the most beautiful smart and funny girls I know. Her fear of commitment and intimacy drives me crazy and I just want her to let someone love her damn it!

"He said 'Hey girl love the jacket'" Riley reads out in a monotone voice, although I swear I can see her trying to stifle a smile. "I told you that was a great picture to use." She says smirking at me sideways.

"Yeah yeah yeah and I told you he was perfect for you so we were both right about something." I say smirking right back "Now what are you going to say back?"

"I was thinking something along the lines of 'thank you?'" Riley says shrugging.

I look at her with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. "Thank you? That's all you're going to say?!"

"Yeah? What's wrong with thank you?" Riley says already typing out the too simple response.

"Nothing if you're opening a gift from your grandma!" I exclaim "This is a boy we're talking about. A hot boy with tattoos who cares about social issues!" I will not let her ruin her chance with such a great guy. She has to at least try to talk to him.

"Reign it in drama queen," Riley says through her laughter. "Since you have such a vested interest in this what do you think I should say?" She deletes her previous two-word attempt at flirting and hands me the phone. I take it and sit back and think for a moment until the perfect response hits me.