II

Bella plastered a business smile on her face to hide her boredom. Clif was discussing the West Country mage hierarchy. The Mage's parents were very engaged in the conversation but it was something Bella and Dylan commonly talked about with their father. Every time there was a shift in the hierarchy, Clif was the first to know. Which, of course, meant Bella and Dylan were the second to know. Bella could probably list off the full names of each of the children of the highest class mages. Clif ensured she knew them by heart. Bella was proud to say she knew them all when Dylan could only name four or five.

Speaking of, Dylan was sharing a sappy gaze with the Mage of Edin. The two of them had been staring into each other's eyes since the main course was set. It was improper. Bella could see by the tense looks her father sent in Dylan's direction that he would be punished for this later. For now there was nothing Clif could do. Not while the Mage of Edin was here.

Bella seethed at the beautiful girl sitting next to her at the dining table. She hated her so much. The way she thanked the maids as they served her courses. The way she sat with her head held high. The way she laughed freely, as if not caring about the opinions of those around her. Either she was incredibly stuck up or she was ignorant. Bella hated both options. She also hated the dreamy way the Mage was looking at her brother. He wasn't even that good looking and he was only fifteen.

Bella chewed her lip. There had to be some motive behind the Mage's actions. No one "fell in love at first sight." That just didn't happen. And especially not with her brother. What was the Mage plotting. Was she going to use her brother against the Myre family? Was she going to use him to be incorporated into the Myre business because her own family wasn't anywhere near the top of the hierarchy class-wise. They made it there out of popularity. Was the Mage going to manipulate her brother into marrying her just so she could be in control of Myre Intel? Bella's fist clenched beneath the table.

"So," the Mage's father began. "Are your children going to be attending Saffrons as well?"

Clif nodded once. "It is, after all, the best school for mages."

The Mage of Edin laughed. "So everyone keeps telling me," she said with a grin.

Bella felt another wave of annoyance flow over her. The brat didn't know anything. How could she be allowed to attend such a prestigious school while being so ignorant. Did her parents not teach her anything? Did it really not matter to them? They were sending their child off into a world full of politics, of status, and their child didn't even know what was going on? Or was it just a front? Bella groaned.

Clif's eyes flew to her. Bella winced but kept her expression light. Her mind raced for a plausible excuse, something to cover her slip up.

"There are so many rumors about Saffrons," Bella said, her voice shaking slightly. "If only people would just wait until they've been there before talking about what it's like there."

Clif gave Bella a short nod, but his eyes were cold, glaring.

"Oh," the Mage of Edin chuckled, "of course. Well, darling, what do you think it'll be like there?"

Bella opened her mouth and almost answered when she realized what the Mage had tried to trick her into doing. She immediately closed it.

"Ooh, I almost got you there," the Mage of Edin giggled. In response, several chuckles echoed around the table. Bella felt her cheeks heat with embarrassment. She wished she could glare at the Mage. Bella's gaze watched the Mage. The girl's smile was glowing and her eyes were jovial.  She really didn't have a care in the world.

"Right then..." the Mage's father recommenced. "Your children are going to Saffrons then?"

Clif nodded, "Yes, that's right."

"Do you have any ideas, or guesses, of which affinity your children will align with?" asked the Mage's mother.

Bella's blood ran cold. This was something she had specifically refrained from mentioning during any conversation with her father. Her heartbeat quickened. She could hear it in her mind. Her breaths were coming short.

"Well," Clif drew out.

Bella's sight darkened. She looked up at met Dylan's gaze. He was staring at her with pity laced in his eyes. Bella stood abruptly. 

Clif turned to look at her, his mouth open, about to speak. She had interrupted him. Bella winced.

"I'm sorry," she whispered hoarsely. "Please excuse me."

With that she turned and left the dining room, practically running to her personal quarters.