Chapter 19

Summertime Sadness - Lana Del Rey vs Cedric Gervais remix

Chapter 19

Word count: 1449

***

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this," I comment nervously to Sadie. "This is crazy." 

Sadie rolls her eyes. There are very few times when I'm nervous. This just so happens to be one of those times. 

"You're going to be fine. All you have to do is ask her." 

As if it was that easy. I want to snort. What if Kai was with her? What if she called Kai afterward, warning him? What if she thought we got into an argument over something stupid? What if--

Okay, I'm really overthinking this. For all I know, it won't be that bad. She might answer my questions easily. It could go really well. Once again, I'm probably just catastrophizing.  I mean, it's a well-known fact that I do that. 

"Oh for god's sake, this woman is going to think we are spying on her house if we stand here any longer," Sadie snaps. Her words cause me to inhale sharply. I don't want to come across as a weird stalker...that might be even worse. Imagine what Kai would think if she reported that back to him. He would definitely stay away from me. 

"Okay, okay, I'll go." Somehow, I manage to move a step forward.  Michelle's house looks nice and cozy. 

Taking a deep breath, I raise my hand and knock on the door, lightly. Nothing happens for a few moments--nobody answers. I'm just about to leave when I voice sounds from the other side of the door, telling me to wait. I recognize the voice--it's Michelle. 

Michelle swings the door open, wearing nothing but her towel. I resist the urge to raise an eyebrow at her. I don't think I have the body confidence to walk out of my house looking just like that. Well, not in front of a stranger. 

She doesn't seem shocked by my arrival at all. Instead, she smirks like she knows something nobody else does. I'm not going to lie, it's unnerving. Especially since I was so nervous to come here. 

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Miss Blondie." She grins, showing off her pearly white teeth. Her eyes dance with amusement whilst her body language tells me she is calm. "I thought you might come around." 

That draws my eyebrows together. I certainly didn't think that. How could she possibly know? Oh wait, Kai would have told her.  The very thought unsettles me as it means Kai must have been talking about me with Michelle. What would he have said? That I was a waste of time? That I was some childish little girl who played with hearts? 

Bile rose up in my throat. 

That was not what I wanted. 

I couldn't look Michelle in the eye, afraid of what she had heard. There was no way I would be able to look her in the eye ever again. 

"W-what?" I manage to stutter out. I clear my throat, realizing how pathetic I sound and stare at the bridge between her eyes. 

"You heard me," She replies, smoothly. It's at this moment I notice that her hair is dripping wet. She must have had a shower a few minutes ago. "He's not here if that's what you're wondering."

Can this girl read my mind? This is some creepy voodoo. 

"I'm not here for that," I mutter. "I'm here to ask you for something."

"You want my help," She states, matter-of-factly before I have the chance to elaborate. 

"I -"