Prologue

That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings  

Word count: 1466

  "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley." (What movie do you think that's from? The answer will be at the end of the chapter)  

***

"They call me 'hell', they call me 'Stacey', they call me 'her', they call me 'Jane'. That's not my name. That's not my name. That's not my—"

"Alright, we get it. They're not your name." My dear friend, who I met here at this university, states, boredly.

"Not everyone gets it," I start. "Did you know yesterday, that guy in class who says my hair looks like it was bleached by my grandmother—which is totally not true—called me Camilia. Camilia! Do I look like a Camilia to you? No offense to all of the Camilia's out there."

Sadie tilts her head to look at me, giving me one of those looks I'm all too familiar with. The look that says: What the heck is going on in your mind this time?

"What?" I ask innocently, raising my hands in the air. "I was only stating the truth."

Sadie purses her lips together to refrain herself from saying something that would either send me off on a tangent or sound completely stupid.

"Why am I friends with you?" She mutters under her breath, brushing a strand of her purple hair behind her ear. I sometimes ponder over whether I should do what she did and dye my hair that color. It would be amusing to watch my parents have a fit.

"Because you love me," I answer and pout when she gives me a ′are you serious?′ look. Sighing, I try again. "Because I'm good entertainment for you?"

Sadie smiles brightly, clapping me for my correct answer. I glower at her in irritation.

"You're mean," I whine, falling back onto my bed. Sadie shakes her head, fighting that smile I know she wants to show badly. Good friend.

But of course, Sadie sucks at hiding her emotions. I chuck a pillow at her small face, laughing gleefully when I hear her yelp of distress. I'm so evil.

You're so not. No, I'm really not.

"Now that was mean," Sadie states, giving me her sad grey eyes. Asshole.

I shrug, pretending to not care.

"Some friend you are," Sadie mumbles, bitterly.

"Aww, love you too," I respond and lunge at her, hugging her tightly.

***

When I was younger, my parents never believed me when I said I wanted to study theatre. Every time I mentioned becoming a world-famous actress, they would steer the topic away, in hopes of gently crushing my dreams.

Yeah, my parents are pricks.

During high school, I studied drama hard to prove to them how serious I was about it. I signed up for as many plays as possible, attended lessons whilst battling all of my other school work. My aim was to show them how dedicated I was to the subject and to let me pursue my dream by studying it at college.

But my parents being the tight-ass people they are who expect me to be a neuro doctor or something crazy like that, never opened their eyes.

No matter how hard I tried, they never took me seriously. No one ever does. Not even my boyfriend—ex-boyfriend—did. Thus, he dumped my sorry ass and focused solely on school. Until he met some other girl and fell in love with her.