Chapter 16

Something Just Like This - The Chainsmokers and Coldplay

Chapter 16

Word count: 1448

***

"Sophia?" I ask in shock and embarrassment. My cheeks heat up as I feel like a fifteen-year-old talking to her crush for the first time, in front of their mother. That didn't happen though, my mom doesn't care about my relationships. As long as I marry someone with a stable job, she doesn't have to worry. 

Sophia is standing in all of her gorgeous glory in front of me, a smirk plastered on her pink lips. Her brown eyes are shining with mischief as she darts her eyes between Kai and me. 

"Hi Ren," She greets, in a positive voice. "I was in the area and I thought I would keep you so company at work but it appears you already have some..."

Kai coughs beside me. I glance at him and narrow my eyes when I read the humor in his eyes. At least one of us can find this entertaining. I'm going to be quizzed about this later. Sophia is relentless. 

"It's nothing Soph--" 

She holds up a hand, effectively stopping my unbelievable excuse. I was making out with Kai, at work.  I doubt anyone will believe me if I said I slipped and managed to fall onto Kai, my lips landing on his. Yeah, that won't work. 

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad you've found a man. Just... perhaps you should not show your affections in front of the whole cafe?"

I bite my lip and try to play it cool. I'm crazy Ren. I'm an acting student. I should act cool. 

I give her a big smile, albeit a bit too big, and casually lean my elbow against the counter. "Sure, it was just a spur of the moment. Plus, we're not dating."

"What?"

"We're not?" 

Comes Kai and Sophia's replies instantly. I avoid making eye contact with either of them and shrug my shoulders. Play it cool. Kai hasn't asked me out yet, thus were not dating. I won't be with someone if I don't know where I stand. 

"Nope," I answer and turn my attention to Carrie. "Did you order something, Sophia?"

She nods her head and rests both of her elbows on the counter. Her eyes stare into mine, assessing me. I can feel Kai's eyes burning into my back. 

"I did," she replies. "I was also wondering if you wanted to come to a party this weekend. You can even bring your boy toy." 

I pinch my lips together at her name for Kai but keep my eyes passive. I don't want her to see how Kai effects me. Because he does,  a lot. 

"Um..."

"We'd love to go," Kai slides in, slipping an arm around my shoulder comfortably. Sophia eyes his arm around my shoulder and grins, pleased. I haven't see Sophia in such a long time. She probably isn't aware of Kai. Sure, she met him at the last party I attended with her but that's it. It's sad I don't get to see her that much. She has a very busy life.

I know she broke up with her boyfriend recently so I assume she's still recovering from that. When I broke up with Michael, I stayed in my room for a long time, wallowing in self-pity. Heartbreak is the worst.

"Great," Sophia squeals. "Right, I should probably tell you to hurry up. The man behind me is burying me with his eyes."

Chuckling, I ask her what her drink is and proceed to make it. Kai still watches me with his arms folded.