Episode One: "Old Ghosts"

Start from the beginning

Clem sighed. "Okay. I understand, Doctor Ruby. Thanks," she said.

Ruby smiled. "I'll be back to check on ya in the morning," she said as she left the room.

Clem looked up at Louis. He was staring down at her, a genuine look of care on his face. "You gotta stop being so clumsy, Clem," he joked. "Those stairs will get ya before the Walkers do." He leaned in and kissed her nose.

She blushed again. "Wouldn't that be something? People will ask 'did a Walker kill her?' and you'll say 'No. It was those damn stairs.'," she laughed. "Louis, can you run up to the office for me? There's a book on the desk. Can you bring it down here?"

Louis nodded and left. He returned shortly, book in hand. "Here ya go," he said as he handed her the book.

She waved A.J. over. "Here, this was the surprise I had for you. It's a book about firefighters and policemen," she said, opening the childrens' picture book to the first page.

A.J., beaming from excitement, climbed onto the cot and leaned against her. Louis took a seat at the end of the cot.

"Firefighters have a very, very important job," Clem read. "They have to risk their lives to save others every day." She turned the page. "They know it's dangerous, but they are heroes. And that's what heroes do."

"Clem? I think your friend Lee would've been a great firefighter," A.J. said.

She smiled. "You're right, A.J. He would've been a great firefighter. Just like you. Always willing to put those he cared about above himself..." she said, tearing up. She felt Louis' hand on her right leg. She looked at him, his deep brown eyes looking back at her, a smile on his face.

"Come on, A.J. It's getting late. Let's let Clem rest. Here." He picked up the book. "You can spend the night with me. We'll read some more, if you want," he said.

"Cool! Clem, is it okay if I stay with Louis?" A.J. asked, a glimmer in his eyes.

Clem nodded approval. "Of course. But go to bed soon. You two have a long day tomorrow. Come here, give me a hug."

A.J. hugged her, and Louis gave her a kiss. As they were walking through the door, Louis turned back to her. "Good night, Clem. Sleep well. I'll come check in before we leave in the morning," he said before pulling the door closed behind him.

Clem closed her eyes and laid her head on the pillow. "How did I get so lucky?" she thought. Before long, she was fast asleep.

*The following morning*

Clem slowly opened her eyes. The sun shone bright through the infirmary window. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. It wasn't long before Ruby came into the room.

"Here ya go, Clem. Got ya some water and a painkiller, in case you have anymore spells. Ya doin' all right?" she asked, visually examining the bandage on Clem's leg.

"Yeah, actually. No pain right now. I think I'm good," Clem responded.

Violet appeared in the doorway. "Hey, Clem. Just wanted to see how you were doing. Louis told us about your fall," she said.

Clem looked at what was left of her leg. "Yeah, I'd say I'm doing as okay as I can right now, considering. Thanks, Vi."

Violet smiled and nodded before walking away. Ruby followed. Louis and A.J. entered moments later.

"Okay, Clem. We're about to head out and scout this caravan. See if we can get a gauge on what kind of people we're dealing with," Louis said.

"Yep. Focus on their numbers, and if they seem approachable. But don't engage them yet. I want to be present when that happens, if it happens," she replied, pulling the map out of her jacket pocket. "Take this. It has their general location circled. And Louis, be careful. Don't do anything stupid. I don't want to lose the two most important people in my life."

"Recon and report. Got it. See ya when we get back. Come on, A.J. Let's go take care of business," Louis said with a chuckle.

A few hours passed. Ruby stopped by to check on her every half hour or so. She was beginning to get worried. She was about to try and get up when Ruby burst in.

"Clem! Come on, you need to come out here. Some guy is with Louis and A.J. He says he knows you."

Clem felt a shiver trickle down her spine. "Who could it be?" she thought.

Ruby helped her get supported on her crutches. "You feel okay to walk?" she asked.

Clem looked down at her leg. "Yeah, think so. Let's go."

They slowly made their way out of the Admin building and to the courtyard. At first, Clem couldn't make out the figure with Louis and A.J. But as she got closer, she recognized the glasses. The brown hair. Another shiver rushed through her body as they spoke in an unmistakeable Russian accent.

"Hello, Clementine."

ClementineMyDarling