Turpin's Ball

Kneading the dough on top of her counter Mrs Lovett wiped the back of her hand against her warm forehead completely tired and drained from her busy day. She was looking forward to a nice glass of gin and hopefully a cuddle with her barber upstairs. Sweeney Todd was the only thing that made her days worth living. She couldn't really say they were courting as such nor could she say they were in a 'relationship' they were lovers. At the beginning she realised he probably used her for her body yet they were more intimate now, closer now then ever and she adored him.

She slowly was able to break down that strong barrier he had held up after losing the love of his life and now was happy he was beginning to find trust and love with her. That's all she ever wanted for him even if he would never actually 'love her'.

It was now getting dark outside and Mrs Lovett realised it must be late. Finishing up with the dough Nellie washed her hands and dried them on a ragged cloth. Just then she heard the second door to her pie shop open where Mr Todd always entered in from.

"Ello' dear" she smiled towards him only frowning when she noticed he was all suited up. "Just what is all this?" She asked standing in front of him seeing his face was stern and almost concerned looking.

"Turpin's ball" he muttered dryly with no expression.

Her eyes widened ever so slightly. "Ya not goin are ya?" She whispered breathlessly with worry. Turpin had dropped round yesterday with the invitations and Mrs Lovett had joked about it all day she didn't think he would actually go. It was too dangerous! That same ball is where he raped and killed Lucy, just why would he want to go.

"I have too, I have to see what kind of ball Lucy attended that night, I have to see it for myself" she looked into his eyes and she could see the hidden grief behind them. It pained her to see him so sad yet if this is what he needed to do to finally have closer then she wouldn't stop him. She wanted his thought of Lucy to be put to bed buried deep underground so that maybe they could move on together. It seemed that Lucy was still very much in his heart....that's what hurt most.

"Then I'll come too..." she began.

"Absolutely not"

"I am not sittin' round ere knowin' you are at his ball, I'll be worried sick" she protested proving to him just how much he meant to her. If was to leave for the ball right now she would get no sleep at all.

"It's not safe!"

"I'm goin' end of!" She snapped back before untying her apron from behind and throwing it to the counter as she walked towards her bedroom to change. She wouldn't be left here in her own that's for sure.

————————

Holding Mrs Lovett close by his side as they stood watching all the people dancing in the grand ball room Sweeney felt nervous. He wished she hadn't come here, he could tell just by looking around that most of these women were escorts and the men out for no good. He couldn't help but keep his arm around her waist holding her close, he didn't like her being here one bit.

"Ya aven't said anythin' bout me dress love" Mrs Lovett whispered by his ear wanting to take his mind of things by distracting him. He frowned as he glanced at her and looked at the dark deep red dress she had on. Much like her others low cut and revealing yet this one in particular had some attractive flare to it. She did look beautiful and had red lips to match.

Smirking at him she giggled as he seemed silent after taking a real look at her. "Used to wear this when I was a girl, still managed to fit into it so I'm proud" she giggled to which he cracked the smallest of smiles still his mind focused on why they were here.