Chapter 34 THREE GUYS IN A VW

Road trip to Monte Carlo: The City of the Rich and Famous, Sort Of

Revv was sitting in the mess hall at dinner with Wahoo and Epsi when he out of nowhere declared, "Memorial Day Weekend is coming up. I smell a road trip." "No wahy homie. Not my Escort this time, we put a ton of miles on it the last trip," said Epsi. "Besides, we just got back from England a month ago." Undeterred Wahoo said, "We kahn rent a cah." "I'm saving money to fly home for a month this summer," said Epsi not wanting to buy into another road trip. "I'm out." "You sure?" hopefully asked Revv. Epsi nodded yes and went back to eating.

Revv scratched his head, "Sasquatch is now married, Eraser Head is saving money to go back home for the summer. Who does that leave Wahoo?" "What abaht Rogue and Beagle?" "Yah. We haven't seen them in ages. You have a good idea for once." Wahoo rolled his eyes at Revv in response. Revv's forhead furrowed before he looked sternly at Wahoo. "Whaa?" "Wahoo not a peep. I stole, I mean acquired, a stack of leave and pass forms from the First Sergeant's orderly room. We leave early Thursday." Wahoo held up his hands, "Hey, so Ah made a mistake before Ehnglahnd. Lessahn learned. Forgaht ahbout it. We sahgn our own pass form." "You mean your own pass form, I have a passport asshole."

Wanting to quickly change the subject, Wahoo asked, "Where do you wahnt to go?" "Monte Carlo on the French Riviera. You know, like that James Bond place." "Sahnds good to me." "How big of a car should I reserve tomorrow?" "Go for a farh seatah. Ahm ohptahmistic thaht they bohth will come." Epsi continued to spoon food into his mouth pretending that he couldn't hear the conversation.

Driving west on the A5 Autobahn early that Thursday afternoon in a rented VW Polo Revv and Wahoo were on their way to pick to pick up two of their old buddies from Aeroscout Observer School who were stationed at Illesheim Army Airfield. "C'mon baby," said Revv with his foot all the way to the floor in fourth gear. "Yah cahn't evahn keep ahp with traffihk in the slow lane," laughed Wahoo. "Guess we won't be impressing any chicks with our wheels this weekend." "Whe wouldn't have room for them in this tin kahn anywahy." "I hope they are there." "Who tha chihks?" "No, Beagle and Rogue." "Oh thahm, thaght yah meahnt the haht James Bohnd chihks on the French Riviara. Buht for thohse guhys. Yahah hope thahr thahr, we haven't seen thahm in ages."

Revv took a moment to think about what they were doing. This was going to be a cold call, a serious cold call. Neither of had been able to find the barracks phone number for their friends Rogue and Beagle. They had left Wiesbaden without calling ahead. On a whim they hoped their friends would be up for a spontaneous road trip, in fact, they were driving a few hours out of their way to see if they were available.

Beagle came from somewhere in the great toxic wasteland called New Jersey. He was a typical Jersey Boy. Loyal to the state, Bruce Springsteen, and Bon Jovi. In that order. On the other hand Rogue originated from some mid-western town in Indiana. He had earned his nickname because of his emotional need to continually steal small things. For some odd reason he only swiped small worthless trinkets but got the biggest thrill from the act. A stolen fork from Denny's could keep him happy for a week.

Parking in an empty spot in front of Rogue and Beagle's barracks Revv examined the building before getting out of the car. "Shit brown doors." "Whaht?" "Shit brown doors. Who in the hell made the decision to paint every U.S. Army door in Germany shit brown?" "No ahdea. Does it botha you?" "Fuck n a it does. It is the ugliest fucking brown color that I have seen in my life." "Who cares? Let's go gaht em. If we mahke good time, we will have time to pahrty in Montreux tonight."

Stopping at the CQ desk they asked for directions to Beagle's room. BAM, BAM, BAM, Revv forcefully pounded on the door. "Cowboy up mother fuckers, you're going on the road." Slowly, ever so slowly, the door opened. A dazzled looking Beagle looked out the crack. Whoosh, the door opened the next thing Revv knew was that Beagle was hugging him tightly. "Revv! Wahoo! What are you guys doing here?" Revv gave Beagle a bear hug in return. He had always loved Beagle who had somehow managed to remain somewhat childish.

"Pahk up. Warh headed to Monte Carlo." "For real." "For real." "Let me ask my sergeant if it is OK with him." Revv pulled Wahoo and Beagle out of the hallway and into the room. Closing the door he scanned the room to make sure the coast was clear. A tired looking Rogue sat up on his bunk. "No fucking way," said Revv. "No sergeants needed. We have a bunch of blank leave and pass forms in the car." "You have a car?" said Beagle. "Rented, if you have the cash you can pitch in otherwise we can cover it." Rogue rubbed his eyes, "Can't make it boys," he said with a sheepish grin. "Why the hell naht?" "I'm invited to dinner at my sergeant's house." Revv couldn't believe what he had just heard, "Call and cancel. This is once in a lifetime. For God's sake, James Bond hangs out in Monte Carlo." Rogue shook his head, "Sorry, I just can't do it." Revv didn't want to take no for an answer, "Rogue. Listen up. Look me in the eyes. Always push it, just a little...and stay cool. Never forget, you only live once."

SLAM! Revv glanced over at Beagle who had slammed his closed fist on his desk. "Great speech Revv. I'm coming with dammit." Revv gave one last glance at Rogue who shook his head sadly no. "It's alwraht Pogue," said Wahoo with the intentional pun on his name. "We still love you."

A few moments later Beaglestood at the door already packed. "Hey. Don't forget your sleeping bag," said Revv. "No hotels," asked Beagle. "Warh sleepin on the beach baby!" Beagle grinned and obediently pulled hissleeping bag out of his locker.