Chapter 24 POST ROAD TRIP BLUES

The following Monday after the Austrian road trip Revv and Wahoo were entering the Mess Hall for lunch still feeling the high from the week of skiing. Morning PT had been rough, foggy, gray, and cold. The wet breeze had eaten right through their heavy cotton Army issue grey sweats.

"Don't Monday's after a vacation always suck?" asked Revv. "Yah gaht thaht raght brutha," answered Wahoo. "I still have this surreal feeling that I should be in Austria, PT sucked this morning, I mean, it wasn't hard, but it just sucked getting out of bed and having to listen to that asshole SSG Terry." "Ahm with yah mahn." Revv looked at the main line entrée and wasn't impressed with the main dish, breaded veal that had been frozen before being dropped into a cheap vat of boiling oil, "I'm going to grab a salad."

Wahoo changed his mind about the veal and walked over to take the last place into the fast food line. Thankfully he figured that at least he knew what he was eating here. No mhore whabbit for me, he thought to himself.

Revv was reaching down to take a plate from a stack of generic boring white plates when a resounding, "REVV!" echoed through the Mess Hall. He knew who it was before he even looked up, not quite wanting to acknowledge the call that had been the death knell of his final vacation good vibes, he willed himself to smile and looked up. B.O.B. was hard to miss. She was standing up and waving him over to her table. Oh, shit, this doesn't look good. Through his forced smile he called back, "I'll be over in a minute." Taking some time to gather his thoughts, Revv filled his plate with pale lettuce that should have been thrown out the day before and a menagerie of vegetables. Filling a bowl with a salty thin chicken soup he started making his way over to B.O.B. Squinting his eyes he tried to make out the girl sitting next to B.O.B. She wore civilian clothes and wasn't very attractive, she seemed to be carrying quite a few extra pounds.

After taking a few steps Revv felt someone pull on his flight suit sleeve. Looking down he noticed Posey Lynn. "Oh sorry, I didn't see you sitting here." She kept a solid grip on Revv's sleeve and tugged him down to whisper in his ear. "Ahh broke up with Shush Yaz," she seductively whispered in his ear. Revv cringed, knowing he couldn't start seeing Posey Lynn right after she had broken up with Shush Yaz. That is if he wanted to salvage any sort of friendship with Shush Yaz. Hell, a relationship with her will never work anyway, we have nada in common, thinking back to the ski trip. Leaning down to whisper back, he quickly decided to take the delaying tactic. "We can talk tonight." Posey Lynn smugly smiled and nodded yes. She patted the seat next to her, inviting Revv to join her. Taking the less of two evils, Revv lied and tilted his head in B.O.B.'s direction. "I promised B.O.B. that I would meet her for lunch." Posey Lynn stuck out her lower lip, feigning a pout, "See you tonight, promise me Sugah." Revv took the pinky finger she offered in the little girl promise style, "Promise Baby," he lied again. "Ahnd bring some wine coolers," she ordered before releasing his pinky.

Leaving Posey Lynn he stopped by the drink station and filled two glasses with water. Muttering, "Lies, lies, lies." Hating himself he continued his muttering, "Lies, playing the hiding game, man this is absolute and complete bullshit." Revv could feel as sorry for himself as he wanted, but he had brought it on himself. Wahoo stepped out of the fast food lane with a burger and fries, seeing Posey Lynn and B.O.B., he did a quick left face and headed for the hills. So much for my wingman, Revv was on his own with this one.

Revv set his tray on B.O.B.'s table but before he could sit down, B.O.B. stood up. "REVV," she smiled and gave him a huge hug. He smiled into her fake blonde hair, he always loved hugging B.O.B.'s ample waist, it just felt, well...comforting, comforting in that large Aunt sort of way. Letting go of him, she pulled out a chair across from the unknown girl, not giving Revv the option to sit by her. "This is my cousin Esmeralda." Revv reached over and shook her full hand. The girl's fingers reminded him of those mini sausages that came in small round can. "She's visiting from the states for two weeks." "Where you from?" asked Revv. "North Carolina, how bout y'all" she said in a singing southern accent.