| seventeen |

Aleta

"No, I don't believe you," Aleta said. She refused to accept Elke's words. She refused to accept that the older girl had been lying to her since childhood. She refused to accept that it was her fault Annemie was gone.

"Lieveling, I-"

"No!" Aleta roared, stunning Elke into silence. She was still reeling from the shock of Elke's betrayal, but a fire had been lit inside of her heart, and seeing the bird only fanned the flames of her fury. Aleta had always been the demure, timid sister, but not anymore. She wouldn't let Elke get away with this. "I will never forgive you," she hissed. A hot tear trickled down her cheek, but Aleta wiped it away. Elke didn't deserve to see her vulnerability any longer. "And Annemie won't either, once I rescue her and tell her what you've done. I'm going to find that flower, and I'm going to set Annemie and the other girls free. We'll see how Mam," she spit the affectionate title out like a curse, watching with satisfaction as the older girl flinched, "feels when you fail your task."

"Aleta, please. Just let me expl-"

"Just. Stop. Talking," Aleta hissed. If possible, the bird deflated even more, protectively wrapping her wings around herself. Her beady eyes shone with something, perhaps shame, but Aleta didn't care. "I hate you. I wish you had never come to our village." She went in for the killing blow. "Everyone was right," she bit out. "You are a changeling, and I never should've trusted you."

"Aleta," Elke tried again, her voice barely louder than the squeak of a mouse.

"Just go," Aleta commanded, refusing to look her former friend and hero in the eyes. She secured her bag over her shoulder and turned to leave. "Go! I'll find the flower on my own."

"Aleta," Elke said again, but something in her voice was different, something that made Aleta stop and glance back.

Birds all of shapes, colors, and sizes lined the branches, encircling Aleta and Elke. There was no mistaking them for ordinary birds; they were other girls cursed by Antsje Pluk. She stared at them, her anger at Elke forgotten, but none of them spoke. They waited for something - or someone.

"Hallo?" she said, wincing as her words rang too loud in the silence. Some of the birds shifted, their feathers rippling, but none opened their beaks. Finally, one bird stepped forward from the crowd. Her features looked familiar, but Aleta couldn't place them. Then, she noticed the gold ribbon tied around one of the bird's knobby legs. "Annemie," she breathed.

"Aleta," her zus acknowledged.

 Aleta didn't know what to say. She hadn't seen her sister in days, and all she wanted to do was wrap her arms around Annemie, hug her tight, and never let her out of her sight ever again. But it was disconcerting seeing her sister reduced to a small bird, and she knew this wasn't a true reunion. It wouldn't be until Annemie was fully human again, free from the heks for good.

"Why are you here?" Aleta asked, worry welling between her ribs. "I'm going to save you, but you should hide. What if the witch senses you?"

"Oh, Aleta," Annemie whispered, her words twined with sympathy and sadness. Aleta wasn't used to seeing her usually stubborn, feisty sister acting so sentimental and soft. She wanted Annemie to be her normal self again, but she doubted that could ever happen. Aleta couldn't imagine what her sister had gone through these past few days. They were both changed, and now there was a rift between them, something Aleta worried she wouldn't ever be able to cross or comprehend.

"I promised you," Aleta said, her voice cracking. "I'm going to find the flower Elke told me about and defeat Antsje Pluk!" 

One of the birds glanced curiously at Elke. 

The older dancer recognized the other bird, but instead of brightening she only lowered her gaze.

The bird leaned in to whisper something in Annemie's ear. Annemie's cheeks flushed the lightest shade of red as the other girl came near, unnoticeable to anyone except for her sister. Interesting, Aleta thought, tucking the tidbit away to question Annemie about later.

"Why is Elke with you?" Annemie asked, her beady eyes narrowing with suspicion. Aleta glanced at Elke. The bird looked exhausted, and despite her best efforts, Aleta couldn't stop herself from feeling a pang of sympathy.

"I don't know," Aleta lied, keeping Elke's secret - for now. It wasn't hers to share, though she certainly wouldn't try to hide her distrust for the older girl.

"What flower did she mention?" Annemie asked. She frowned in thought, then shook her head. "Anyway, it doesn't matter. We've thought of a plan to defeat Antsje Pluk, no flower necessary."

"No," Aleta said stubbornly. "I need to find the flower." 

Annemie sighed. 

Aleta prickled at her twin's condescension. Her zus had been through a lot lately, but so had she. Aleta knew that the flower was the way to save Annemie and the other girls. She had to prove herself capable.

"Come with us," Annemie pleaded, her eyes softening. "Please, Aleta."

"I need to find the flower," Aleta repeated, her heartstrings twinging at the hurt that flashed across her sister's face.

"Fine," Annemie hissed. "But you're not brave enough to defeat Antsje Pluk. We'll save ourselves."

"Fine!" Aleta spat back. "And take Elke back with you. I don't need anyone anymore. I'll defeat the witch all by myself. Then you'll see."

She spun around and stalked away, walking until the trees obscured her from view. When Aleta was sure she was alone, she allowed tears to drip from her eyes.

The shadows snuck in around her, draping over her shoulders like a shroud of sorrow. Even so, Aleta's heart only hardened. She was going to defeat Antsje Pluk whether Annemie thought she could or not. This time, it wouldn't be for her sister, it would be for herself.

[ a / n ]

aaa omg after this there are only 3 chapters left! 

some questions to spark conversation: is Aleta overreacting? where do you think Elke's true loyalties lie? did you know she was untrustworthy from the get-go? do you think Aleta and Annemie will forgive each other? who will be the one to succeed, Aleta or Annemie?

as always, thank you all so much for reading! please share any comments, reactions, predictions, etc below! <3