Chapter 6

Once they have crossed the portal to Venom Mountain through the door, instantly, the view given to them was very different than the one they have been in.

"Venom Mountain," Mawang started. "In contrast to its name, it's actually very beautiful. I almost forgot how beautiful this place is."

"You've been here, Mawang-nim?" Secretary Ma asked.

He nodded. "She stole Cha Eun's fan before by disguising as me. I had to come here and retrieve it myself."

Son Oh Gong shook his head and tsked. "Such a troublemaker."

Mawang averted his gaze to him. "But still no match to yours."

Again, they followed Mijin's lead. Son Oh Gong honestly doesn't know much about the mountain and the land surrounding. Who knows what this place holds... given that it had such name.

After walking for a few hours, a tiny village appeared at their sight by the foot of the mountain.

Since it was about lunch time, they decided to visit the village and repack some necessities.

As they enter the village, they immediately noticed something was strange. They had to stop by the road entrance to observe. There were people here and there. A woman was watering the plants, another was hanging clothes on the clothesline, a man was feeding his chickens, an elderly was slowly walking past them..

"There's something strange here," General Frost spoke what was already in everyone's mind.

"Something's missing," Secretary Ma added.

Then it clicked to Son Oh Gong. "Not something... Someone." He listened more and found he was right.

"This village has no children." Seo Mijin stated for him.

At that, everyone listened for children playing or laughing or crying but they heard nothing. They also looked around more.

"How did this happen?" Mawang asked.

Looking closely, Son Oh Gong can see how gloomy the adults and elderly were in this village. Different kinds of sad expressions were in their faces: sorrow, regret, and most of all, guilt.

After making sure that nothing else was wrong, they started to walk into the village. As they pass by houses, all they see everywhere are adults and the elderly. Some of the elderly were just staring blankly into the sky-- as if all they could look forward to today was their death.

Son Oh Gong found himself walking beside Seo Mijin. He glanced at her and found her thinking deep. The air around her was very slightly charged. Is she annoyed? He looked closely. Ah. She's worried.

He went back to looking around. Everyone was too gloomy that they can't ask them what happened. They haven't even noticed that outsiders were walking in their midst.

Until they reached a small village plaza with a platform... On it was someone with a bright face who greeted them with hospitality. "Visitors! Hello, welcome to Heaven Reaching River Village. How can I help you?" Among everyone they saw, this womman looks about mid-20s to early 30s. The youngest they have seen so far.

"What's your name?" Mawang asked.

"Uhm Junghwa," she replied, beaming.

Son Oh Gong scrutinized the woman.

Why is this woman smiling so widely at us while her co-villagers are sorrowful?

"Hey, woman what happ---" before Som Oh Gong could ask about the children, Mawang intercepted him.