Chapter Twenty - Make-up or Break-up

When Rafe got to Guildford on Saturday morning, it was to see his aunt's Jaguar already on the driveway. He groaned to himself, knowing that not only would he have to face his wife's ire, but that he'd have to contend with the wrath of Aunt Vee, too, because Aunt Vee was always on the woman's side. Always, because she insisted that women were never wrong (as long as she liked the woman in question, of course; otherwise the woman was "a bitch who could do nothing right"). Indeed, no sooner had he let himself into the house, when his aunt grabbed him by the arm and dragged him into the study.

'I don't want your mother to see this,' she told him, before slapping him across the face. 'There,' she said, taking a deep breath to collect herself. 'How was the drive down?'

'It was fine,' Rafe said, pressing his hand to his cheek. 'Are you aware that you just hit me?' he asked sceptically.

'Yes. You deserved it.'

'Right...'

'What's going on?' Aunt Vee demanded. 'You'll never find a better woman. No one else could tolerate you, Raffey, but everyone has limits and firing Mattie has certainly tested hers.'

'The thing is, Vee,' Rafe said, in a low, rumbling voice, 'the way we are - you and me - we can't always be that way, can we?' referring to their slightly domineering, headstrong natures.

'I'm not always like this. Not with Carl; not when we're alone.'

'I know, and I'm trying not to always be like this with Chris.' Vee grumbled, unimpressed, but understanding.

'Why did you have to make that sweet girl the collateral damage?'

'Because I f*cked up and it couldn't be avoided. Because I've f*cked up so much over the years that it had to be some pretty spectacular collateral damage in order for it to mean anything.'

'I hope Chris is happy!' Vee cried, because she didn't much like the man; too pandering, too fretful, too weak for her liking.

'He's pleased about the changes going forward, but no, he's not happy. Apparently, I've been an arse all week.'

'Even more so than usual?' Vee asked, with a concerned frown. 'Oh dear! I almost feel sorry for the man.' But not quite, it would seem. 'Mattie's in the conservatory with Sebastian. Kip's coming later. He's bringing Evie,' Vee added, with a beaming smile.

'That's nice,' Rafe said, stooping to kiss his aunt in a proper greeting. In return, she soothed the pink tinge to his cheek.

'Go and put things right, and I'm not just talking about forgiveness. I'm talking about making sure your wife is happy.'

'It's my priority, I promise.'

***

'Sweetheart?' Rafe said, standing in the doorway of the orangery, and watching his wife as she entertained their son with a glove puppet.

'Raffey,' she said, glancing up at him. He offered her a pained smile, which told of his own suffering, making it clear she wasn't the only person who had felt awful all week.

'Can I have a cuddle, Sebastian?' Rafe asked, crouching to his aged knees.

'Dada!' the boy screeched, paining his ears, too.

'Darling,' the doting father smiled, before sweeping his son into his arms and lifting him into the air. 'I've missed you,' he said, inhaling the boy's scent. 'And Mummy. I've missed you both so much.'