life

"Hush, she's opening her eyes." Those were the first words I ever heard coming into this world. When I lifted my eyelids, I looked around the room only to find myself surrounded by eight people in long, white lab coats. Four women, four men. They all looked down on me eagerly through the glass that separated us, and I lifted myself off of the hard, cold lab table I was lying on. I looked back at it as if I was leaving the only home I had ever had, but even though these were my first moments of life, so many thoughts were swirling in my head that I felt like I have been living since the beginning of time.

A microphone crackled through the small, bright room. The scientists on the other side of the glass looked happy, one woman even looked as if she was praying. "How do you feel?" The voice asked, and I wasn't sure whether I should respond truthfully or how I was expected to.

"I feel dizzy." I settled on a half-truth. It was true that I was dizzy, but I wanted to say I felt confused. Something in the back of my mind told me not to.

"Do you feel sick at all?" I glanced back at the scientists, who no longer looked eager and hopeful, but rather disappointed and resentful. I looked down at my feet. How tall was I?

"No." I replied. "And I think I just got up too fast. I'm not dizzy anymore."

"Excellent. Mrs. Karen is going to escort you to the testing in five seconds. Good luck." I wasn't sure whether I should be alarmed that I'm going to have to take a test or that I only had five seconds to prepare myself. Or maybe I should be afraid of Mrs. Karen. But five seconds later, none of it mattered, and a short, blonde woman came in with a clipboard and glossy lips surrounding a big, cheesy smile. She held her hand out and I took it.

"I'm Mrs. Karen. Ready?" Her blue eyes sparkled but had no emotion behind them. They were dead and bored. And creepy.

"No." I replied bluntly.

She giggled. "I'm glad President Xavier didn't extract your sense of humor."

Um, what?

She let go of my hand and lead me down a long hallway into a tiny, dark room - more like a closet - with only enough room for me to sit at a desk with a computer sitting on it. The test was already on the screen, and at the top it was labeled: Multiple Intelligences. I'm still confused by how I am able to read and talk and comprehend even though I've only been alive for a couple of minutes. I glanced at Karen and she smiled back, gesturing for me to sit down.

"Turn the lights on when you're done. That's our signal." She said, then pushed me in rather harshly. "Good luck." The place was starting to creep me out, but I sat down at the chair anyway and began to take the test. Question One: I have a good sense of balance and like to move around a lot. I had to chose from one of six answers: This is not like me at all, I am very rarely like this, This is a bit like me, This is something like me, I am like this more often than not, or I am always like this.

It seemed like a weird test to give me in my first fifteen minutes of living.